cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Halo 4 problems with Plusnet supplied TG582n but not with old Netgear DG834GT

quige
Dabbler

Halo 4 problems with Plusnet supplied TG582n but not with old Netgear DG834GT

Hello, Sorry if this should go in the Gaming section, but actually kind of seems related to the router, so starting here.
So new to Plusnet. Fled from Be. Initially I read through the advice the router had for game mode, which said it should need to enabled for consoles, and left uPnP to do it's thing.
What I found when playing Halo 4 Spartan Ops with a friend (also on Plusnet) was that we got frequent momentary hangs/freezes followed by periods of rubber banding and general lagginess when I used the Technicolor. Didn't seem to matter if I was host or he was. Decided to switch out to my old Netgear DG834GT, from then we didn't get any of these issues at all for the rest of the evening.
Tonight I put the Technicolor back on, having put my Xbox 360 IP (dhcp reservation) in the DMZ on the Technicolor. For good luck I also Enabled Game mode though the help says it shouldn't be needed for consoles, and anyway putting the IP in the DMZ should really make this redundent. Maybe overkill. And we tried to play again. Now it wasn't as bad as before, but we were still getting the occasional freeze, and he got some rubber banding and jerkiness his end.
Went back to the Netgear again and all was fine and silky smooth.
So I guess my question(s) is - Could there be a problem with the Technicolor router?  Should I raise a ticket with Plus and ask them to replace it? Is there any other configuration I could do on the router to help/identify what the issue is?
You might wonder why i just don't stay with the Netgear router, but it does have a couple of features going for it that I kind of would like to use - Wireless N, and it seems to be able to support mulitple devices starting an outbound PPTP VPN connection without altering any firewall rules. For the Netgear I need to go in and enable/disable firewall rules for what ever device I want to bring up the VPN from.
Again, sorry if this is not the place to ask, and thanks in advance to anyone who may reply. Cheers, Jay
17 REPLIES 17
scoobydoo1
Grafter

Re: Halo 4 problems with Plusnet supplied TG582n but not with old Netgear DG834GT

it seems so, hence why they are asking people to send them back if they so choose to investigate the issues, altho at the moment ive not had any probs, (yet)
AndyH
Grafter

Re: Halo 4 problems with Plusnet supplied TG582n but not with old Netgear DG834GT

Out of interest, are you connected wired or wirelessly?
quige
Dabbler

@AndyH - I'm connected wired.
@Scoobydoo1 - thanks, I guess I'll raise a  ticket asking for a replacement then.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

@quige
We've just bounced this over to our products team, I'll make sure we sort you out with a replacement if needed.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
quige
Dabbler

Thanks Adam, shall I just wait to hear from someone then?
Graham21
Grafter

Hi Scoobydoo1
We asked people who have replaced their router (with another of ours or something else) to send their 582n back in case there was something wrong with it. There have been complaints about the Wi-Fi but we have yet to find a router where there was actually something wrong with the Wi-Fi. We're hoping if we get a few more back and do a bit more testing, we might find something.
I don't think that this particular case is down to a faulty modem, it's unlikely that replacing it will solve this but I will check with the rest of the Products team.
Graham
quige
Dabbler

Hmmm, so what do you think might be causing the issue Graham? It seems quite clear that when I use the 582n I have problems (xbox in dmz) vs the much older DG834GT (xbox in dmz). Are you saying that the 582n is just not up to the task and I'll just have to accept that?
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

What he's saying is that we don't know why the Technicolor would cause that problem.  Bit more digging required I think!
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
quige
Dabbler

OK. Well let me know if you want me to try anything, though testing may have to await the availability of my Spartan Ops partner.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

npr's telnet tweaks suggest disabling the power saving features: http://npr.me.uk/telnet.html#cpu
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Try those CPU tweak and let us know if that helps?
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
quige
Dabbler

OK, will do. Like I said I won't be able to test again until next week. I'll update then. Thanks the the help.
+ thanks ejs, looks like a useful resource.
quige
Dabbler

Last night I put the Technicolor back on and connected via telnet and issued the following commands;
pwr config cpu-lowspeed=disabled
pwr config eco-manager=disabled
pwr config cpu-microsleep=disabled
pwr config cpu-lowspeed=disabled
saveall.
Rebooted. Started playing Spartan Ops. Initially things seemed to be going well and was thinking that this had sorted it. However later was suddenly kicked out midgame (admittedly after about 90 mins) when the router decided to resync or something. When I got up this morning my ping graph and the uptime on the router showed that it resynced again at about 5am.
Tonight replayed the mission that got cut short again and this time it was back to pausing and judder effects after the micro-pauses. Checked that the settings were still applied. They were. Given that I spend my days supporting IT systems I just want to use and enjoy my connection in the evening, so I put my DG834GT back on and rest of the evening went OK. It's also not fair to the people I play with if I'm dragging down their gaming relaxation time with disconnects and progress lost that will have to be replayed.
So I don't know where that leaves me really. My connection on BE over the same bit of wire had been stable for at least 2 years, maybe more. Given that my problems seem to go away when I use the Netgear it makes me kind of feel that the problem is the TG582n router, but earlier comments from PN staff seem to say they don't think it is the router. Perhaps it's more sensitive to something else about my line. Is there anything else I can try?
I found that I was getting much less on the My broadband speedtest yesterday when on the TG582n than tonight on the Netgear. 7919 kbps (990kB/s)/1036 kbps (130kB/s) vs 10253 kbps (1.28MB/s)/1000 kbps (125kB/s). Same sort of difference was seen on Speedtest.net. I also had an email from PN pointing out that I'd been with them for 14 days and my actual speed was much less that they had estimated? Do they think there's something wrong then? I tried the Broadband Fault Checker but it errored out after I got to the point where I said I kept getting disconnected. Now tonight it's gone straight to the error.
"There's been a problem. Please try using the Broadband Troubleshooter again in a short while. If you continue to have problems please contact our Support Team for help".
quige
Dabbler

Router is connected straight into master socket using one of those faceplates with the filter built in. No extensions running off it.
Netgear diagnostics currently showing;
Channel: FAST, Upstream rate = 1171 Kbps, Downstream rate = 12939 Kbps
Link Power State: L0
Mode: ADSL2+
Channel: Fast
Trellis: U:ON /D:ON
Line Status: No Defect
Training Status: Showtime
Down Up
SNR (dB): 6.4 5.8
Attn(dB): 31.0 17.2
Pwr(dBm): 0.0 12.6
Max(Kbps): 15968 1164
Rate (Kbps): 12939 1171
BT Speedtest seems to think there is nothing wrong with my line.
Download speed achieved during the test was - 10.39 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4 Mbps-21 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 11.41 Mbps
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 1Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps
Not sure if those Rate IP profiles are right or match with what PN have set. Upstream one in particular seems a bit strange - I'm getting more that the profile is set for.