cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Had enuff!!!!

sbullough
Dabbler

Had enuff!!!!

PlusNet has gone right down in my estimation over the past 18months.
I've been a PlusNet customer for nearly 10years at various locations, in the same town and sometimes having lines installed.
However, at my current location, 18months ago I was getting a fairly constant 5Mb-6Mb connection and now I'm now to an optomistic 2Mb, although BT Line check says I can only get 1.5Mb!!!
I get constant disconnections, especially in early evening and it's making the whole internet experience pretty [removed]. I do quite a bit of online gaming and most nights it's unplayable - lag, lag, lag.....!!!!!
My contract has been up for a few months and am seriously considering moving to another ISP, or even going cable.
I've logged my issues with PlusNet, who did some jiggerypokery when I was getting about 1.7Mb and it went up to 2Mb - big difference, but everything it's just so sloooow!!!!
Haven't logged anything with them for a while as the last repsonse from them was that they could send out an engineer, but it would cost £140 if found to be a local fault!!! I have tried 3 different routers and get the same problem with all of them!!!
Not happy at all with PlusNet!!!!! Would never recommed them to anyone, even my worse enemy!!!
[Moderator's note by Dick(Strat) Attempt to circumvent the language filter edited as per forum rules.
16 REPLIES 16
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Had enuff!!!!

Quote from: sbullough
Haven't logged anything with them for a while as the last repsonse from them was that they could send out an engineer, but it would cost £140 if found to be a local fault!!!

The point is, a lot of people's internet problems are of their own making: failure to fit ADSL filters, bad internal telephone wiring etc.  If you are prepared to run the tests that prove it isn't a local fault then you know that you will not have to pay £140.  Exactly the same thing happens if you have a telephone fault on a BT line; you'll be threatened with a huge charge if it turns out to be a local fault.   
pierre_pierre
Grafter

and after ten years, you might have a dodgy router or filters, you might still have the bell wire connected, and a few other problems
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Ermmm  the original poster says........

I've been a PlusNet customer for nearly 10years at various locations, in the same town and sometimes having lines installed.

pierre_pierre
Grafter

so,  what I said still applies
sbullough
Dabbler

Really think I'm using 10yr old filters? I've tried 4 different routers (3x Netgear and a Belkin) and used the filters that have been supplied with the routers.
Nothing has changed within the home regarding BT sockets, wiring etc.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

ok then, getting nearer
Can  you post your router stats
Not being rude but if not sure see here http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php
have you checked your Exchange status http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi sbullough,
I'm sorry if the warning for the charge has put you off raising a fault, but we need to mention this by law. It's as ReedRichards says - the fee is only charged if the fault is found to be caused by internal wiring or equipment. If you try two different routers in the master socket (or better still, the test socket) with no phones connected and the fault is still apparent then you've proved that it's _not_ being caused by wiring or equipment.
If you have a line fault please do raise it to us - we can't do anything about it if you don't let us know it's happening. Let us know when you have and I'll make sure it gets tested for you.
g3ucq
Grafter

Hi sbullough
My VERY lengthy thread titles "IP profile speed dropping" is one instance where it would have been very easy to blame Plusnet on my slow d/l speeds. With a combination of great advice from this forum and some detective work it was proved not to be Plusnet's fault and now my d/l speed is back to where it should be.
It is not in an ISPs interests to have disgruntled customers so hang in there and I am sure it will get sorted.
Regards
John
sbullough
Dabbler

Quote from: Matt
Hi sbullough,
I'm sorry if the warning for the charge has put you off raising a fault, but we need to mention this by law. It's as ReedRichards says - the fee is only charged if the fault is found to be caused by internal wiring or equipment. If you try two different routers in the master socket (or better still, the test socket) with no phones connected and the fault is still apparent then you've proved that it's _not_ being caused by wiring or equipment.
If you have a line fault please do raise it to us - we can't do anything about it if you don't let us know it's happening. Let us know when you have and I'll make sure it gets tested for you.

I was told that it was £140 unless there was a fault!! So basically if there was no fault or my fault, I'd get charged £140 - can you please clarify. Also does this inlcude BT sockets, considering they haven't been touched in years and everything was working perfectly 18months ago!!
Denzil
Grafter

It is as Matt said. BT responsibility is the incoming wire up to and including the master socket. Anything after that is your responsibility. BT only charge the £140 if the fault is your side of the socket. you say you have tried different routers. That should eliminate a router fault, but have you tried it in the test socket? Assuming you have a modern socket with a removable bottom half, unscrew it and you will see another socket inside. This is technically the endpoint of BT's responsibility. If you plug the router in here (you will need an adaptor, preferably not a filter - hopefully an adaptor will have come with the router). If the sync speed goes up then you have an internal wiring fault somewhere. If it doesn't change then you can be sure the fault is not yours and you won't be charged.
Note, when you check this, the thing to look for is the sync speed as reported by your router, not actual download speed. See pierre-pierre's Kitz link. If the problem is internal the sync speed will go up straight away when plugged into the test socket, whereas the actual download speed can take a couple of days to catch up. Tell us router stats before and after using the test socket, and it will help to narrow it down.
sbullough
Dabbler

No test socket. Who's responsibility is to have one fitted? BTs or mine?
jim:quote
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: sbullough
No test socket.

Do you mean your house has a BT master socket (i.e. the socket at the point of entry has some sort of BT logo) but it isn't the type with a detachable faceplate?  Or do you mean there is no obvious first socket and no socket with a BT-type logo?
I have had several clients with broadband problems where a BT engineer came to the house and fitted a master socket with a detachable faceplate free of charge where there wasn't one before so that they could identify if the problem was on the line or on the premises.  But I don't think there is any guarantee that would happen.   
Denzil
Grafter

Forgive me if it seems like a silly question, but are you sure that is the master socket i.e. the first socket on the end of the wire that comes in the house? I have to ask because we have seen cases where the obvious socket turns out to be an extension and the real master is tucked away somewhere else.
sbullough
Dabbler

Quote from: Denzil
Forgive me if it seems like a silly question, but are you sure that is the master socket i.e. the first socket on the end of the wire that comes in the house? I have to ask because we have seen cases where the obvious socket turns out to be an extension and the real master is tucked away somewhere else.

There are only 2 sockets in the house - neither have a test socket.
Both have phones on and both have filters - obviously only one is connected to the router  Grin