cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HUAWEI HG 612 Modem.How to use Lan2 to feed local PC

brianwright22
Grafter

HUAWEI HG 612 Modem.How to use Lan2 to feed local PC

I have tried the "hacking proceedure" in various Googled sites but have not been able to get access to the setting of using the Lan2 output.When I connect to the Lan2 ethernet I get the message  no or poor connection.
I wish to move my useless HG 582 wireless router nearer to the centre of my house  to try and get a working wireless network without having to run more than ONE ethernet cable. My Modem is adjacent to the PC it makes sense to utilise the "Spare" ethernet port of the HG612 otherwise whats it there fore?
41 REPLIES 41
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: HUAWEI HG 612 Modem.How to use Lan2 to feed local PC

Quote from: brianwright22

I wish to move my useless HG 582 wireless router nearer to the centre of my house  to try and get a working wireless network without having to run more than ONE ethernet cable. My Modem is adjacent to the PC it makes sense to utilise the "Spare" ethernet port of the HG612 otherwise whats it there fore?

You need to take the hg612 out of bridge mode and put it in routing mode.
This shows the settings I used.
http://npr.me.uk/hg612/
You also need to disable DHCP in the TG582n.
brianwright22
Grafter

Thanks for that but how do I get into the setup, it is locked out. Pressinh the reset and holding it down whilst powering it up from the unplugged dc adaptor does not allow me to do anything. The Hacking sites say plug the PC into Lan2 but that has limited or no data & plugging into Lan1 does not work .Also the DLS light does not come on when carrying out the hacking instructions.At this point the Open Reach modem is working but I would like to use Lan 1 for the router and Lan2 output for my PC.
I hope this makes sense
npr
Pro

I thought you had already unlocked it.
Instructions here -- click on link on right of page:
http://huaweihg612hacking.wordpress.com/about/

Are you sure you've got a Huawei modem.
If it's a ECI modem then that's more difficult.
brianwright22
Grafter

Yes its  HG612  version3B
jim:quote
brianwright22
Grafter

Quote from: npr
I thought you had already unlocked it.
Instructions here -- click on link on right of page:
http://huaweihg612hacking.wordpress.com/about/

Many thanks for your help so far. But there is a problem unlocking my Modem
Interesting  this is the site I used to try and unlock the HG612. It states configure the ethernet to 192.168.1.100 well on the PC setup it won't except the last two 00.I don't think thats an issue.
What is more important is that it says connect the PC/Laptop to Lan2 well this is the one that has limited or not function. Carrying out the instructions is very straight forward but my Modem does not boot the DSL after releasing the reset with the 5sec action.Therefore there is no broadband connection when selecting 192.168.1.1. My version is the HG612 3B would this make any difference?
jim:green quote fixed [/color]
knowdice
Rising Star

If you can't configure your Ethernet to 192.168.1.100 then you are not going to get very far.... Sad
I used those instructions and they do work  Cheesy
npr
Pro

It states configure the ethernet to 192.168.1.100 well on the PC setup it won't except the last two 00.

It's a valid IP, it will accept that address you're doing something wrong.
Never mind you can use any address in the subnet, try 192.168.1.11
Have you downloaded the unlock firmware, you'll need that before you can go much further.
The instructions do work, read them again and start afresh.
brianwright22
Grafter

I'm sure they do I have tried them several times but the connect through my Router Lan 2 is not usable only the Lan 1 works with an acceptable signal,its as though the Lan 2 has been dissabled by the BT / Plusnet firmware?.
I'm sure Il'l get there eventually I'm only interested in getting the Lan2 port operational
jim:quote
apjashley1
Grafter

Don't you need to be on the non-BT firmware for this to work?
brianwright22
Grafter

Quote from: apjashley1
Don't you need to be on the non-BT firmware for this to work?

I have since heard that even if the unlocking worked on my version 3B modem it will not be possible to operate Lan1 & Lan 2 independently. This is because it is not configured as a dual hub.
I have checked the unlocking method again and my modem will not boot up when powered and configured holding down the reset button.It refuses to boot and I have tested the reset button iternally for continuity .
I think I will have to accept  that my modem stays as it is.
npr
Pro

I have since heard that even if the unlocking worked on my version 3B modem it will not be possible to operate Lan1 & Lan 2 independently.

That's not true, I have one doing exactly that.
I've also posted the config details telling you how to do this.  Undecided
Finguz
Grafter

I have checked the unlocking method again and my modem will not boot up when powered and configured holding down the reset button.It refuses to boot and I have tested the reset button iternally for continuity .
I think I will have to accept  that my modem stays as it is.

Unplug everything from the HG612 modem including the power cable, the ethernet cable from lan1 and the rj11 cable from the BT Socket ( the modem should have no cables plugged in at all ). Now connect an ethernet cable directly from your pc to the modem's lan 2 port, and configure your pc's ethernet as described in the guide. Now hold in the reset button, plug in the power cord, and wait 10 seconds ( to be sure ). Release the reset button.
Now follow the rest of the instructions in the guide
If you still can't configure your ethernet as you suggested earlier, use another pc.
Good luck  Wink
brianwright22
Grafter

I think I need more than luck!!. I have carried out the above to the book , I took your advice and used the ethernet port but this time in my two Laptops. W7 & Vista. The Lan2 flashes when the reset is held down and the power is applied,I held the reset for about 15secs But using 192.168.1.1**  connects to nothing
Rather strange perhaps I have a duff lan2 port Modem.
Interestly my Vista Laptop says there is a problem connecting to the ethernet device and tries to repair but will not connect
dick:quote

npr
Pro

Interestly my Vista Laptop says there is a problem connecting to the ethernet device and tries to repair but will not connect

That suggests you haven't put the laptop's ethernet port on a static IP in the range 192.168.1.[2-252]