Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP...slow upload speed.

glosoldspot
Grafter

HELP...slow upload speed.

hello,
My wife has a blog to which she uploads photos of craft projects she's made. We both also use photobox to upload photos to. Our problem is our upload speed, it is incredibly slow and at the moment we are finding it next to impossible to upload any photos. This is becoming very frustrating.
Our most recent speeds have been: 78kbps, 19kbps, and just now 11kbps.
Can anyone offer some advice/assistance regarding our upload speed and how we can improve it or get it improved?
thanks.
7 REPLIES 7
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: HELP...slow upload speed.

Hi there,
I've just picked up on ticket 53785460, please check my reply on there for a couple of suggestions. Do feel free to post back on here and I'll help you get this sorted.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
glosoldspot
Grafter

Hi,
ok, the results are:
Download speedachieved during the test was - 6.1 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600 Kbps-7.15 Mbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :8.13 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 7.15 Mbps
This is bizarre, we have never had upload speeds like that before so don't know what the heck is going on. Should they be higher anyway, don't know what our upload speed 'should' be?
Shoul I proceed with raising a fault?
glosoldspot
Grafter

have just done a test on mybroadbandpseed.com without using an Ethernet cable, and of course the result is hugely different:
Download speed: 3201 kbps
Upload speed: 35 kbps
hugely different from Ethernet speed test on the bt speedtest I posted before.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
We know that mybroadbandspeed is displaying odd results at present and are looking into it, do you get similar speeds on other tests when connected via wireless?
Also is this with the laptop in the same room as the router?
glosoldspot
Grafter

Hi,
Just done some tests with broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk, uswitch.com, speedtest.bbmax.co.uk, and speedtest.net and the upload figures are 0.07, 0.1, 0.09, and 0.06 Mbps.
My download speed is anywhere between 3.2 - 6.5 Mbps depending on any given minute it seems!
So, the upload results are similar o the mybroadbandspeed results. The router is in the same room as the laptop, about 1 metre away at most. It is on the floor behind the sofa....just in case I did the above tests with the router on the windowsill about 30cm away from my laptop....still very poor upload speeds.
On the ticket I raised at the same time as posting here a colleague of yours directed me to your support page on how to improve your wireless signal. Following that, last time I checked of 6 other wireless signals picked up around my home, 2 others were using the same channel as mine (the strongest only at 30%). Is that worth changing manually?
As I see it, it definitely seems to be a problem with the wireless signal, as when using the ethernet cable before the upload speeds were much higher.
iainmacmillan
Grafter

you don't want any channels clashing, the default used by most routers is 11, so look at switching to 1 or 6, you want 4-5 channels between you and the nearest other Wi-Fi signal (i usually choose 1).  this should give you a clearer signal.  might also want to check with your laptop manufacturer's site for any update to the wireless drivers (also not the wireless chips model from Device Manager, it might be handy to know to help troubleshoot, esp if it's a Realtek or Broadcom).
when you log into the router, what is the ADSL modems' connection speeds, is it saying 448Kbps?  realistically when mine was set at that, actual speeds were about 384-396Kbps.  I assume if you upload from the Ethernet link, everything is fine?Huh
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Run tests wired and wireless to speedtest.net using the same PC. If the wired upload is faster than the wireless and your router is a TG585v8 supplied by Plusnet it's a known problem with that router that affects some users. Plusnet will replace the router.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)