Did you mean: 

HELP!!! . Network won't see Static IP client

freedee
Dabbler

HELP!!! . Network won't see Static IP client

Hello
I have a problem that I can't resolve.

PREVIOUS SITU:
Home Network using Belkin ADSL Router 192.168.2.1 port forwarded 80 for frontroom W7U Desktop which hosts my website, this has a static IP
address of 192.168.2.33, Default gateway 192.168.2.1 (router) and dns 192.168.2.1 (router). 
I didn't want to be pinned to the front room when updating so I edited the /etc/host file on my laptop to read 192.168.2.33 mywordpressite.
so that I can log in to my wordpress site from my laptop, it worked beautifully and everthing has been tickety boo for a few years.
THEN plusnet sent BT round to install FIBRE BROADBAND, BT's OPENREACH BOX AND PLUSNETS Technicolor TG582n FTTC.  With my set up left
untouched, I ran the setup wizard on Technicolor TG582n FTTC http://192.168.1.254/ landing page.
Result: 
Access to Internet - Check!
Files and folders on windows network visible, check!
Remote desktop working, Check! 
Computers on Lan, yes but NOOOOOO! 
PROBLEM. Ethernet only shows up devices connected wirelessly and where a pc is set to have it's IP assigned automatically by the DHCP.  The
Technicolor TG582n displays the computer name too.  But as soon as a pc is manually assigned a static ip like 192.168.1.154 and Plusnets
dnses the Technicolor TG582n Network shows it up as 'unknown' or in some instances doesn't display it at all. Worse still I no longer have access to my sites via my laptop and plusnet appears to not be able to resolve my wan ip so the voluntary webpages that I have created for my church group, school and friends are no longer accessible from the net.  I am so distraught, I have spent £40 on a new router and hub thinking it was the equipment, but the same thing is happening.
Can someone please help me:-( 
7 REPLIES 7
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: HELP!!! . Network won't see Static IP client

If you want manual ip's to show, then you have to do it in a strange way.
Make it a dhcp client. Let it get an ip then CHANGE it and make it static.
OR telnet into the router and manually add it to the dns server there.
Or leave it for a day or so they sometimes show up.
But as you have said the dhcp range is different. It will NOT show anything on the 192.168.2.x range only the 1.x range.
You could try changing the default dhcp pool to 2.x but you would still need to change the ip address of the router to 2.1 to match your old one.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

how are you assigning the static ip address in the router or just typing it into the static pc's internet adapter properties ?
iirc static addresses don't show up in the routers DHCP list however they do show up in the ARP list and so long as there on the same network will show up on other windows pc's,
for instance I have static addresses assigned in 4 out of the 9 pc's (mix of tablet laptop/desktop) on my network (manually input the address's into the pc adaptors via properties) but when I tired to do the same thing via the router nothing worked, I did change the address range of my router to exclude the static addresses, personally I went for 192.168.1.00X with the router DHCP table being 192.1.168.200~192.168.1.220  
have you double checked that your w7d is assigned an address of XXX.XXX.1.XXX instead of leaving it on XXX.XXX.2.XXX  if it is then it should be visible on your network (NB address isolation can be used like that if you leave the router's DHCP on XX.XX.1.XX and set all machines on your network to XX.XX.2.XX they would all see each other but any guests wouldn't be able to see them)

generally the most common reason why stuff isn't working is a digit being wrong in the address .........
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
freedee
Dabbler

Hi hairymcbiker:-)  I've already tried your first suggestion and a little reluctant to try telnet, but thank you.
Thank you too nanotm, in answer to your questions, Yes to typing it into the static pc's internet adapter properties and yes I am certain it is .1 not a .2
I have since tried again, this time I set all the machines including the wireless laptops manually using IP range 192.168.1.150 to 170 so as to prevent any IP conflicts and used DNS 192.168.1.254, then turned them all off.  I then reset the BT Box, reset the router and booted the laptop.  The Technicolor Ethernet shows the laptop up by its mac address.  Great.  So I turn on all the machines, one by one, each showing up by their macs.  When I click configure on each of them, I can see the IP address that I assigned.  Great.  So I choose the machine I know my site is on and assign the http application and I still can't reach it.
When I spoke to Plusnet, they tried to ping my external IP and said it was timing out immediately, they sent the packet but it wasn't reaching me..?  I know what that means, but I don't understand what I can do about it as they assign it don't they?  I don't know what to do Cry
nanotm
Pro

check your firewall settings on the router, you might be blocking the traffic on port 80 to all other devices but the one you created the allow rule for.....

have you also checked your connection settings for firewall with PlusNet account page ? iirc using the incorrect one can cause problems but then I disabled that part myself.

are you on a static ip address and did you tell your router to allow traffic to the destination ip address ?(the first part you would know for sure because you pay extra for a static ip)
the other question would be does your old Belkin router have the ability to be used for pppoe connections, if it does then you could swap the Technicolor for that and continue as you were before the fibre upgrade (admittedly there might be a data throughput issue on an older router)
as a side thought did you try disabling all port forwarding rules and instead try using UPnP, or switching off UPnP and using just port forwarding rules, I'm not overly keen on the Technicolor myself but that's because I hate using telnet to create custom rules (being dyslexic also makes it problematic)

freedee
Dabbler

OK I did actually type loads in response to your advice nanotm, but as I was typing, I hit a key (unintentionally) that caused me to backpage and I lost everything.  Anyway, just to say thank you for your advice, the Technicolor's security settings are un-editable and I do not have a static IP with PN that I pay for.  However, I did check the firewalls security settings on my Plusnet account and it was disabled so thanks for making me aware of it, I have since modified those settings.  
I have found the solution to this problem but please note ..
My New Router allows for Port Forwarding and a plethora of other settings which I did not use, but the IP Binding facility meant that I could bind an IP address to the mac address of any or all of my pc's on my Lan thus relinquishing the need to manually set a static IP in its TCP properties.  As a result, all the machines are assigned IP's dynamically  including this machine, it just gets assigned the same IP because of its binding in the router and so still shows up in the DHCP List.  Fantastic!!   All that was left to do was http://wiki.mcneel.com/zoo/window7firewall, so now I can access my blogsite on my 'bound' machine from my laptop.
I never needed it before so perhaps changing to fibre causes a reset in windows 7 firewall?  As a side note it, I highly recommend changing the standard issue router  from Plusnet's to one that is more configurable for anyone wishing to run a webserver!  I hope this helps, its only taken me 5 days!!
Thank you for your help. Smiley
nanotm
Pro

yeah its difficult to think of things like that, I always use something other than the windows firewall so I have simpler network changeover, just accept the new network as trusted and everything works, I expect when you installed the server program originally the firewall entries were made as part of it but changing routers created a new set of default rules excluding the server specific one.
if you ever change router or ip address range it could well happen again but its like other things you never forget it once you had to do it

glad you got it sorted, even if I was thinking about the wrong firewall  Cheesy
freedee
Dabbler

You're so right,  i've certainly learned a new lesson.  While I was pulling my hair out, the Plusnet support team were so helpful and calm, always calm, they must get a free supply of unlimted chocolate and coffee or something cos they calm! Crazy :). But I had my issue resolved with your guidance, twas all good Wink Thank you..