cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gotta love the constant drops in speed here

KitFox
Grafter

Gotta love the constant drops in speed here

So once again i'm back over speed issues.  This time at least it seems to be totally unrelated to connection issues which is a plus
And yes I know its the holiday so more people are online than usual etc.
However when you can barely use your connection and get a good variance of speeds from 144kilobits to 927kilobits most people would tend to get annoyed just a tad, especially as my connection can only just about manage 1.5Mbit at the best of times it would seem.  Its even more annoying when it seems to be somewhat overzealous traffic shaping, that is even affecting my IM/IRC clients, not to mention online gaming, now yeah ok traffic shaping is needed as are bndwidth limits etc, but as mine was reset on the 20th of this month it'd be nice to see some change?Huh
Just maybe someone at plusnet might for once maybe as its christmas think about kicking my speed to something usable??  Or do i really have to make a support request out of this?
8 REPLIES 8
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Gotta love the constant drops in speed here

Hi KitFox,
Your connection has been up for over 13 days, reboot and tell me what happens.
Jojo Smiley
KitFox
Grafter

Well since rebooting my router it seems to be performing better than it was, but its still slower than usual.  Now managing around 1050/1100 kilobits.
Although I'm not jumping for joy just as i've had this happen before, reboot and get decent speeds for a day or two & then they drop right back down to stupid again.  So i'm gonna keep a close eye on it over the next few days and see just what happens.
and you'd think that with the following statistics i'd be able to manage better than 1.5mb, even with being out in the sticks as far as broadband provision goes, especially now my SNR isnt a constant 15db.
SNR Margin (dB) : 5.3  18.0
Attenuation (dB) : 50.0  27.5
Output Power (dBm) : 17.8  12.2
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: KitFox
........even with being out in the sticks as far as broadband provision goes................

As it's Xmas day I thought I would allow myself  the little treat of pointing out that unless KitFox lives in some long small bits of wood (and I suppose a fox might) he/she probably means "in the Styx", Styx being name of the mythical river you have to cross to get to Hades.
Merry Xmas!
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

I hate to burst your bubble on this wonderful day (oh, who am I kidding, I love it really  Crazy) but Googling "Out in the Styx" gives only 972 results. "Out in the Sticks" gives 260000 results, although some definitions seem to point at Styx as the origin, but I'm not convinced. Before I did the searches, I was convinced that "Sticks" is correct, meaning a place far away from well-populated areas.
Perhaps where you go to collect sticks...
pierre_pierre
Grafter

how could you say that about JoJo
STYX GODDESS OF THE RIVER STYX
Hesiod, Theogony 775 ff (trans. Evelyn-White) (Greek epic C8th or C7th B.C.) :
"And there [in Hades] is housed a goddess loathed even by the immortals: dreaded Styx, eldest daughter of Okeanos, who flows back on himself, and apart from the gods she lives in her famous palace which is overroofed with towering rocks, and the whole circuit is undergirded with silver columns, and pushes heaven; and seldom does . . . Iris (the Rainbow), come her way with a message across the sea's wide ridges, those times when dispute and quarelling start among the immortals, and some one of those who have their homes on Olympos is lying, and Zeus sends Iris to carry the many-storied water that the gods swear their great oath on . . . Such an oath did the gods make of the imperishable, primevil water of Styx; and it jets down through jagged country."
Statius, Thebaid 1. 46 ff (trans. Mozley) (Roman epic C1st A.D.) :
"In dire accents [Oidipous] utters this prayer [cursing his sons] : `Gods who hold sway over guilty souls and over Tartarus crowded with the damned [the Erinyes], and thou O Styx, whom I behold, ghastly in thy shadowy depths.'"
puddy
Grafter

Quote from: Jaggies
Before I did the searches, I was convinced that "Sticks" is correct, meaning a place far away from well-populated areas.

You are correct
Merry Xmas
Puddy
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi KitFox,
Can you plug into the test socket so I can do another test?
@ReedRichards, Jaggies, pierre_pierre & Puddy... A few thousand years off topic there. Think you all may have had too many Christmas wine gums!
Jojo Smiley
pierre_pierre
Grafter

do you mean you are the witch of the Styx JoJo, I hope not