Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got moved to ADSL2+

Y2J
Grafter

Got moved to ADSL2+

Hi
I restarted my router yesterday around 12pm and when i looked at the router stats to see if i synced any higher i noticed at the top "G.992.5 annex A"
Is this normal it used to be 992.3 , is there anything plusnet have to do to match this upgrade?
Seem to have more errors on the line too, strange  Cheesy
Thanks
Lee
7 REPLIES 7
Trevor
Grafter

Re: Got moved to ADSL2+

Lee, are the errors continuing to build up? I ask because when I switched to ADSL2+ recently the error counts seemed to behave quite differently from before. Firstly, there seems to be more errors on the uplink than on the downlink, which wasn't the case with ADSL1. Also there sometimes seems to be a significant error count from the word go, which then doesn't increase particularly quickly as time goes by - almost as if a bunch of errors are logged during the initialisation process.
I guess it may also depend heavily on what router you have. Mine is the Plusnet - provided Thomson Gateway TG585 v7.
Trevor
Y2J
Grafter

Quote from: Trevor
Lee, are the errors continuing to build up? I ask because when I switched to ADSL2+ recently the error counts seemed to behave quite differently from before. Firstly, there seems to be more errors on the uplink than on the downlink, which wasn't the case with ADSL1. Also there sometimes seems to be a significant error count from the word go, which then doesn't increase particularly quickly as time goes by - almost as if a bunch of errors are logged during the initialisation process.
I guess it may also depend heavily on what router you have. Mine is the Plusnet - provided Thomson Gateway TG585 v7.
Trevor

Yeah mate exactly how you experienced it, same router too.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Are you sure about it previously being  992.3 as that is ADSL2, 992.5 is ADSL2+ and (what I believe you were on) 992.1 is ADSL1. If you were on 992.3 you were already on the 21CN network which supports ADSL1, 2 & 2+.
Sometimes ADSL2+ produces a lot of errors if your line is marginal for the faster speeds. If the exchange sees thi it can switch you to ADSL2 which can reduce your speed and reduce the error rate. It is sometimes better to be to ADSL2 than ADSL2+.
The reason for the higher errors is ADSL2/2+ use more frequencies which in turn can pick up more noise and generate more errors.
Y2J
Grafter

Hi Peter
Yeah i was on 992.3 , just curious why it changed all of a sudden to adsl2+
Y2J
Grafter

How do i make it so im not ADSL2+?  as for some reason effects my gaming.
ta
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Some routers offer the option of setting the 'modulation type' (terminology may vary depending on router), usually set to 'Auto' but may give the option of ADSL, ADSL2, ADSL2+ (or 992.1, 992.3, 992.5), yours may or may not have this option.
Post details of your router and someone will probably help (if the option is available).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
lexusuk
Grafter

Hi Y2J,
As per walker23's post the value you have referred to is the modulation mode.  When your router synchronises with your local exchange it will analyse the line and choose the best modulation mode given the line conditions at that time.  As previously mentioned here, sometimes it can be advantageous to use say ADSL2 over ADSL2+ for example in terms of errors/stability.  
You can force the router to do this by using telnet if you're confident in doing so.  You will need to open a command prompt window (Windows) or terminal window (Apple Mac) and type the command:
telnet 192.168.1.254
You will then need to login to the router with:
user: Adminstrator (The capital A is important)
pass: <The router serial number> (Again this is case sensitive so all letters must be capitals)
Once logged in you will see a flashing cursor.  There are four modulation modes to choose from.  Choose the relevant command to specify the modulation mode you'd like to use:

• Multimode: adsl config opermod=multimode

• ADSL2: adsl config opermod=multi_adsl2

• ADSL2+ (Default): adsl config opermod=multi_adsl2plus

Once this command is executed the modem will re-sync with your exchange and the details shown on the ADSL stats page will update.  To finish type:
saveall
To save the setting.  Hope this helps.  Any questions get back to us.