Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got a BT Wholesale message saying fibre DSL is down but its not

clownfish
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Got a BT Wholesale message saying fibre DSL is down but its not

Can anyone tell me if the fibre DSL service was down in my area late last night?
I was uploading some photos to my photo sharing site and the connection went down.  The router is one of the netgear cable ones use for the fibre service and the status light for the link to the BT modem went orange.  The BT modem seemed to think things were OK according to the status lights.
When connection was restored (orange light back to green) my main PC which is running windows 7  could not connect to the internet.  I got a page displayed in the browser which had a BT wholesale message saying various things like the service is down or that some sort of test is being run.
I tried connecting with an iPad via wireless and that failed also so I assumed the message from BT wholesale was correct and the service was indeed down so gave up and went to bed.
However this morning while I connected to the Internet no problem using my work laptop via wireless as I am working from home I got the same BT wholesale message on the screen on the main PC. 
I could see the router from that PC so the physical connection was fine and I could see the router was connected to plus net with an IP address starting 31.
I noticed the IP address starts with 62 if that is of any significance.  The router status page says I am connected with an IP address starting 31.
I tried releasing and renewing the IP address and that had no effect.
I'd like to know what happened here if anyone can help.
Was there a loss of service last night at about 01:00?
If there was, anyone any idea why would this cause a Windows 7 PC connection problems when it came back?
I fixed the problem by power cycling the router which will have caused it to give the PC a new lease for the IP address but I don't understand why when the PC could see the router it was not able to see the Internet on the "other side" when my laptop can.
There was a windows update this week so I was wondering if that screwed anything up and anyone else was seeing similar problems?

4 REPLIES 4
TBSteve
Grafter

Re: Got a BT Wholesale message saying fibre DSL is down but its not

I have been getting that message randomly intermittently for over a week now.
Raised a ticket last night, which was pointless.
The answer from the support team is that you are connected and it looks stable.
They should maybe look up intermittent in the dictionary. 🙂
Does anyone know what causes it.
It affects any device, wired or wireless, and sometimes it only affect certain websites.
I have attached a screen grab, but it doesn't include the ip address, but I assume it is the same, I am sure it started with 62 as well.
TBSteve
Grafter

I just got another reply from support - I'll try this tonight.
----------------------------
Setting DNS manually in the Netgear router
BT's VDSL modem is pre-configured to use BT's DNS server and with the Netgear router pre-set to dynamically obtain DNS settings then you will be using BT's DNS servers. If we set the Netgear to use our servers then we can override the BT modem, and thus use Plusnet's DNS settings. If you choose to use Open DNS (Google etc) then you will just replace those sever settings where you will put the Plusnet details.
First you need to navigate to the Netgear configuration page in your chosen browser by entering the following IP address - 192.168.1.1. You may be prompted for a username and password which will be default set to;-
Username: admin
Password: password
You will then be presented with the home page of the router. On the left hand side you will be given the option of 'Basic Settings'. Once clicking in this you will be given the option to change the Domain Name Server (DNS) Address at the bottom of the page. You will need to check the 'Use These DNS Servers' option and enter the following values in their respective fields.
Primary DNS: 212.159.13.49
Secondary DNS: 212.159.13.50
Apply the settings using the below button and the router will then use those DNS in future.
---------------------
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi guys,
We've seen this quite a bit. Did changing the DNS resolve it for you.
Jojo Smiley
TBSteve
Grafter

I haven't tried it yet, but I will do.
Because it was in interrmittent issue, I'll probably wait a week or so before I would declare it a success