cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Goodbye PlusNet, I cannot handle anymore of it.

ashrafmiah93
Grafter

Goodbye PlusNet, I cannot handle anymore of it.

Im a very hardcore gamer, so a decent or superb internet speed is essential for me when playing online. For the past 3months my conncection has been the poorest ever. I cannot play a single game without lagging out or lagging during game meaning i have to just turn my PS3 off. Its not fun at all. Ive had countless problems with the quality of broadband. There was at one point when i changed my package to Unlimited couple months back where oddly the speeds and quality where perfect it was what i always wanted and it was probably the only time over the 2 years i was happy with gaming. Im literally fed up however since that was happy moment was only to last for 1 month until the usual poor service returned. Ive been with plusnet for 2 years now why ive still stuck by i dont know. The prices however are exceptional and hands down the best by far but my internet jumping from 0.3kbs to 4mb 70% off the time is just a [Censored] take. Unless i get serious help to resolve it for the final time im done with plusnet. I dont know if its a faulty router or what. What is also strange is during that 1 month after i upgraded to unlimited my speeds where hitting 7mb which never happened since i joined!? Something during that month was obviously going perfect so i know for a fact there is a solution to it i however havent got that. Please plusnet help me resolve it otherwise ill need a mac code by next month

P.S. Please ignore my old topic which has popped up on the first page because inaccidently replied on that. Thanks.
31 REPLIES 31
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Goodbye PlusNet, I cannot handle anymore of it.

What you describe sounds more like an issue with your line. Unless you are intending to move to a Virgin Cable connection it is likely you will take your problems with you.
Are you consistently getting the same sync speed? Are you getting disconnections? Are there high error counts shown in your router stats?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
Sorry to hear that it's been bad, but I can't see any faults reported on your account at all? If you raise it to us at http://faults.plus.net we'll be happy to get it sorted out for you. The tests on there will confirm if it's a router issue or if it's something else.
AndyH
Grafter

This was his previous thread: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,117960.0.html
We need to see the router stats. The OP also needs to say about whether he is connected to the Master Socket or an extension in the flat.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Also what else he has plugged in to any telephone sockets other than the router.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
ashrafmiah93
Grafter

All the sockets in my flat look the same so none have the unique master socket cover. We live on a 3 floor flat (I think its called a maissonate) with 2 sockets in the living room and 1 in the bottom floor of our place which is my room where i plug the the router into. When i upgraded to unlimited a few months back the moment the package started for that whole month i was havin perfect connection with 7mb speed somethinf i never encountered with the smoothest gaming i had ever experienced. That only lasted for one month so there has to he a fix! I dont want to leave Plusnet because the customer service is excelent and prices are unmatchable its just my unfortunate speeds that is something im very irritated with and ive experienced for 2 years but i still dodnt want to leave plusnet because of how good their customer service etc is. Maybe i could try a new thompson router? Here are my route stats bare in my in restarted by router a few days back thinkinf that might help ovviously not  :
Uptime: 7 days, 10:05:24
DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,204 / 6,216
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,195 / 6,008
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [GB/GB]: 3.16 / 45.64
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.5 / 20.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 21.0 / 36.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 6.0 / 9.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 32 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 44,704 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 9,983 / 35,977
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 1,526 / 75,935
AndyH
Grafter

With those line attenuation numbers, you should be syncing around 3Mb higher.
Is there any chance you can locate where the BT cable comes into your flat and the first socket?
ashrafmiah93
Grafter

I see the tiny matchbox sized BT box outside my flat door on the top but the white coming into the flat seems to be travling inside the walls rather than the outside where id be able to see which socket the wire first connects too 😕
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Which phone socket is closest to your front door ?
Is your router presently connected to that socket ?
Otherwise, can I suggest you connect the router to it and see if it makes any difference, before considering other options such as opening up the sockets to investigate the wiring.
ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
AndyH
Grafter

Although taking the covers off the sockets might show which is the first socket....particularly if a different colour of type of cable is used between internal/external
ashrafmiah93
Grafter

Ill try do some of what you guys have said and let you know tomorrow.
Apprentice
Grafter

Any idea how many pairs of wires supply connections to the various occupants of the flats?
ashrafmiah93
Grafter

After testing all 3 sockets it seems the original one was the best. Guess I have no other options than to try another ISP 😕
picbits
Rising Star

Generally if you have issues with your line or internal wiring on one, moving to another ISP will not cure or improve the problem.
The only exception to this is if you move to Virgin Media and use their "Fibre" system (which is actually a coax cable) which bypasses any telephone wiring you have to your house.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Have you raised a fault with us at http://faults.plus.net ?