cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Goodbye Free DynDNS Service

Thunderclap
Grafter

Goodbye Free DynDNS Service

You may need to know that DYN the providers of Dynamic DNS Hosting, have as of May 7th, ceased their free DNS host service.
The upshot being if your router is using the DynDNS service to assign your dynamic PlusNet IP against a custom hostname, this will no longer work!

This free dynamic host service has been in constant use since 1990 when it was a community and opensource project. It is often the one and only dynamic DNS service on many routers and IoT devices. But now you have to pay $$$$s for the pro-service. Another fine example of the corporatization of net-neutrality.
http://www.dyncommunity.com/questions/37839/free-account-closure-bad-idea.html?page=1&pageSize=5&sor...
+++ I should add, as a corporate predator, DYN has also purchased other free to use DynDNS services including TZO.com - which are now no longer free +++
16 REPLIES 16
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Goodbye Free DynDNS Service

a business changing it's model has nothing to do with net neutrality.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Thunderclap
Grafter

Thanks for your feedback.
jim:quote
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

I've switched to dtdns and haven't had any problems as of yet.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Thunderclap
Grafter

Cool Bob, many thanks for your constructive reply.
The problem with certain routers, especially the legacy ones from Netgear and DLink, is they are hard wired to DynDNS - or have a drop down with one option. I suspect OEMs took the DNS software from DYN as it was on freebie GPL. Sadly, other DynDNS services have either gone extinct or, been predated by DYN - not leaving us 'IP pool party' people many options.
There's a zoo of update clients and Linux scripts on DTDNS so I'll check them out -> http://www.dtdns.com/dtsite/updateclients
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

I've a suspicion that accounts signed up via this mechanism may not be expiring. I have both and whilst my dyndns.org address no longer resolves, my dlinkddns.com one does.
There's some info about the D-Link addresses here in their FAQ.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

If your router saves the configuration as a text file, then you may be able to insert something along the lines of:
#
#  [ dyndns.ini ]  Add DDNSoMatic for DDNS operation (Thomson 585v7) in this config file section
#
dyndns host add group=dyndns_0 name=all.dnsomatic.com
dyndns modify name=dyndns_0 intf=Internet user=<user> password=<passwd> group=dyndns_0 service=custom status=enabled
dyndns service modify name=custom server=updates.dnsomatic.com port=www-http request=/nic/update retryinterval=30 max_retry=3
or you could use the equivalent telnet commands, if you can find them.
The above updates dnsomatic (part of opendns) which updates the IP address in your opendns account (for logging/statistics etc) and also can "forward" the update to a range of DDNS services.
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
Thunderclap
Grafter

Thanks guys. Somewhere burried in the router is the Linux DDNS script and core. I've found a default config file containing these lines, but I'm not sure if they work just with the DynDNS service or, their portable to another DNS provider :

ddns_enable=0
    ddns_service_provider=dyndns
    ddns_user_name=
    ddns_password=
    ddns_host_name=
    ddns_use_wildcards=0

"ddns_host_name=" would suggest it's re-wireable, so I will try PeeGee's settings in there. However, there may be something else hardwired into the DynDNS service?
I've also the CHRON table entry for the DNS update, but it's pointing to some unresolvable link? I am no Linux/Busybox/Bash expert!
Shocked Stay tuned to this frequency...
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Unfortunately, your list of ddns parameters does not include a server ("members.dyndns.org" for dyndns and "updates.dnsomatic.com" for dnsomatic) Sad  If you can find the string, you could try replacing it.
"host" is the name associated with the IP - all.dnsomatic.com for dnsomatic.
The 585 has a "custom" setting, but I find it easier to use telnet or edit the config file (as both can be done by cut/paste Wink ).
Phil
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

My 7800n seems to have a drop-down list of about 16 ddns services available.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Thunderclap
Grafter

Cool Seeking a workaround to point a Netgear router at another Dynamic DNS host, I've been peering under the hood with Telnet, looking for that all important configuration file - so I can change it.
A configuration file is what one should expect to find but, so far it seems Netgear intends this router to point to DynDNS.org only. The source code for the open source DDNS service 'ez-ipconfig' implements many web hosts, but Netgear's factory compiler decided to ignore them and only provides for three [and null] services. As a result, all IP Roads lead to members.dyndns.org. Open Source doesn't necessarily mean open implementation?
Code geeks, see attached :
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately Netgear do like hard coding things like that !
Recently I had to do a similar investigation when one of my secondary wireless routers (Netgear WNR834B), no longer knew what the time or date was.
It turned out that Netgear had hardcoded the NTP lookups to be fetched only from Netgears own NTP servers.  Unfortunately Netgear had taken their servers offline for maintenance which took about three weeks.  Unfortunately there was no way of specifying an alternative NTP source.
This caused no end of grief, as the router provides my children with their internet connection, and applies different content filtering rules depending on time of day, and whether it is the weekend or not.  So when the time became random, or unpredictable, I had to remove the time dependent rules and permanently set them to a fairly strict level.  Having given up all hope of Netgear fixing their servers, they reappeared and I was able to reinstate variable filtering.
chrcoluk
Grafter

for asus routers and other opensource someone has made a dlink emulator so dyndns thinks the router is dlink and hence free.
Thunderclap
Grafter

Grin Cheeky one there Chrcoluk - I bet DYN$ will be severing their relationship with DLink soon.
Cool Purleigh, whilst looking through the source code I too noticed some other hard coded IP addresses! I expect they are expecting those IPv4 values them to remain static forever? I do wonder exactly how much open source code is ripped by corporations, without due diligence to quality control - or even basic programming skills 101. btw I came across this honest developer comment  -

// okay, dhs's service is incredibly stupid and will not work with two
    // requests right after each other. I could care less that this is ugly,
    // I personally will NEVER use dhs, it is laughable.

sleep(DHS_SUCKY_TIMEOUT < timeout.tv_sec ? DHS_SUCKY_TIMEOUT : timeout.tv_sec);
dragon2611
Grafter

I wonder if the Netgear's.etc use their internal DNS relay to do the lookups, might be able to get away with a bit of DNS poisoning  Wink