cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good sync, stable line but poor throughput!

btharper
Grafter

Good sync, stable line but poor throughput!

Like several others I have been suffering from slow performance when downloading, streaming and surfing often getting DNS issues.
This all started when I moved to the Premium product from BBYW back in November (although this is not necessarily related as things seemed okay initially).  My downloads prior to this had always been around 4-6.5mb/s which is great, iPlayer was watchable when streamed and web browsing worked fine with not DNS errors.
Things then went downhill from around the 20th of November.  I raised a support ticket (see 30883940) and was asked to run some performance tests.  I have (repeatedly) run these tests meeting the following criteria:

• Connected to the master socket.

• All other devices disconnected.

• Single CAT5e cable from PC to my Netgear DG834N.

• Tried a Netgear DG834G.

• Tried a different filter.

• Disabled Virus Checking/Firewall.

The performance has generally (with the odd exception) been atrocious.  I have tried:

• http://speedtest.net/

• http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/

• http://www.speedtester.bt.com/

• http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/diagnostics

The BT test (logged in as speedtest@speedtest_domain) suggests I contact my ISP, for example:
Download speed achieved during the test was - 301 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 400-2000 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :10241 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 888 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 2000 Kbps
Your service was found to be performing poorly. Please raise a fault with your service provider, stating that the BT Performance Tester tool indicates poor service throughput performance after the third test.

The response from support is basically that no fault has been found and suggesting I run all the above test again.
Does anyone else have any suggestions?
Thanks,
Theo
7 REPLIES 7
chesterfield
Grafter

Re: Good sync, stable line but poor throughput!

Firstly, it seems as though your ip profile is for some reason stuck at 2000, and this is at BT too, so will perhaps need PN to get this resolved.  Even so 300kbps on a 2mb line isnt particularly great.
There seems to be a few issues around at the moment, and they are either issues to do with contention at exchanges (looking more likely for me right now), incorrect line speeds set when being changing products, or there may be some lingering issues with gateways etc at PN.
btharper
Grafter

Thanks for the reply.
When I first moved from BBYW to Premium my IP Profile was reduced to 2000 but that was sorted out on the 22/11/2009 (the day I raised the ticket).
However, when I connect using the speedtest@speedtest_domain user I get an IP Profile of 2000.  Perhaps someone from Plusnet could comment on whether this is correct?
Here's the results of the first test which show my normal IP Profile (which is now 10000 BTW).
Download speedachieved during the test was - 225 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 1000-99999 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :10241 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 888 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 9000 Kbps
This test was not conclusive and further testing is required.This might be useful for your ISP to investigate the fault.

Now doesn't 225 Kbps look good, you get better that I do!  Wink
chesterfield
Grafter

If I had a 10mb connection and a throughput of 225kbps I think I would have gone stir crazy by now - some explanation is clearly needed.
btharper
Grafter

Well this morning looks very promising as something has definitely changed between me and Plusnet as I am now consistently getting:

...and even iplayer is working on HD.
Only time will tell if this is a permanent fix.
Theo
Mand
Grafter

Your line rate on our tests has gone up from 7150 to 9000. Can't see how that would have *that* much impact given that it wasn't too shabby in the first place, but glad to see things seem to be much better now.
btharper
Grafter

Thanks for the reply Mand - are you sure nothing changed your end?
If not I can only assume something was fixed between me and you as all my speed tests are currently coming out at maximum, long may this last!  Cool
See attached graph!
Theo
Mand
Grafter

Nothing at all that I can see, but glad things look better. Smiley