cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good sync speed but bad download speed

justinandvaness

Good sync speed but bad download speed

I moved house on the 17th May and in preparation I booked a number transfer with BT and asked for an SPO (Simultaneous Provide Order). They supplied a "Sim. Ref." which I then supplied to plus.net. BT transferred the number a couple of days late (I didn't give them much notice) and plus.net setup the broadband a couple of hours after that. An SPO that worked! Happy days....nearly.
My router's download sync rate is 6,555 kpbs but my download speed is at max 1.0 Mbps. Huh I have tried the following to diagnose:
1) Wired and wireless connection to router - Same
2) Tested speed peak/off peak - it seems to range between 0.8 and 1.0 Mbps.
3) Replaced micro filter - Same
4) Plugged router into master socket - same
5) Plugged router into BT test socket - same
6) Factory reset and configure of router - same
7) Checked VP capacity - Green
EDIT - 8 ) Checked bell wire - Already removed.
Connection stats are attached.
Finally I did the BT Wholesale broadband test and got some interesting results (attached). Test 1 & 2 are consistent with the experienced poor performance. However, Test 3 which connects directly to the BT network shows the performance I expect from a sync rate of 6,555 kpbs.
Any ideas?
Thanks!
7 REPLIES 7
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Re: Good sync speed but bad download speed

Hi Spangolin,
Welcome to the forums.
Were these tests done wired to the router (or over WiFi) and can you be sure that nothing else was doing data transfers whilst these tests were performed?
After that the first thing to do is to check your PN data rate profile - see user portal - connection - high-speed broad band.  If your 'current speed' figure is markedly different to the BT reported profile, you will need to ask PN to align the profile.  That should deliver more usable data transfer speed.
@DCT - this looks as though there might still be issues with tracking BT profiles.  Has there been any progress on the plans to rectify this please?
Cheers,
Kevin
PS: @Anotherone - yes, most helpful... I just don't have the links to hand  Tongue

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

You mean one of these Kevin - Your Current Line speed (Login required)
justinandvaness

Here you go!
Estimated line speed:2.5Mb (This may vary between 1.5Mb and 3.5Mb)  - Checked on 2013-05-14 16:18:38
Current line speed:0.9 Mb
justinandvaness

Thanks Kevin & Anotherone.
Ticket raised....
justinandvaness

Quote from: townman
Were these tests done wired to the router (or over WiFi) and can you be sure that nothing else was doing data transfers whilst these tests were performed?

Sorry, just noticed your question.
Quote from: Spangolin
1) Wired and wireless connection to router - Same

I shutdown Windows Update service, Google drive..........
When I factory reset the router I gave it a different SSID and password so I'm sure nothing else was connected.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

I've nudged your profile to match your sync speed, give it 10-15 minutes and you should see the difference.
justinandvaness

Magic! 5Mbps down and 1 Mbps up. That will do me.
Thanks for you help everyone!  Cheesy