Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good replacement fibre router?

warpspider
Grafter

Good replacement fibre router?

Hi there,
Can anyone suggest a very good replacement Fibre router?
Back when I used adsl I had and was very satisfied with my netgear dg814, I'm kinda at a loss in the fibre market though.  The router that came with my package is very bare bones on features and the wifi is pretty poor.
5 REPLIES 5
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Good replacement fibre router?

I'm surprised you've not been swamped by recommendations from ASUS users on here (yet?).
RT-N66U and similar seems to please those that use them.
There are so many good routers around, it depends a lot on the features you want (and the price you want to pay).  I use a Fritz!Box 7390 which is expensive but has a fairly unique feature list: http://www.thinkbroadband.com/hardware/reviews/73-fritzbox-7390.html
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

I've a Technicolor 589vn that works pretty well.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Without knowing your requirements, the TP-Link devices provide a low cost (if not feature rich) solution. Though not on fibre, I use a TL-WR1043ND that provides gigbit ethernet and a good 11n300 capability, even though my neighbours router automatically selects the same channel(s) as the best solution Shocked There are models with IPv6 capability and/or dual band.
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
james26
Grafter

Quote from: Bob
I've a Technicolor 589vn that works pretty well.

Yes but Plus Net don't give that one for free out do you now? good service let down by shocking bad router if you want w-fi! in the end i bought a apple airport extreme which works really well.
james.
warpspider
Grafter

Thanks all, gonna check out the Asus I think!
I mainly wanted to be able to set my own mtu, easily setup port forwarding and have better wifi coverage.