Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good Sync but poor download speeds

FIXED
staley84
Grafter

Good Sync but poor download speeds

Hi All,

Having and odd issue that I hope the forum can help with, where I get good sync but poor download speeds.

Chain of events so far:

8th May

1. Noticed that Fibre speeds were slow.
  2. Rebooted router but no no avail.
  3. Router download syncing at ~17Mbits, BT Speedtester ~14Mbits down.
  4. Raised issue via Plusnet Diagnostic Bot, got call back and was informed by support that there was a 'Copper Impairment' and would require a visit from Openreach engineer.

10th May

1. Received call from Openreach engineer. He said he had tested the line but no fault.
  2. He then visited my house, changed the faceplate to a new 'Master Socket 5c' and tested the line again from my end. He said that there were no faults. He also tested the line and got >45Mbits.
  3. Connected router again and it synced at ~47Mbits Download. Ran BT Speedtester ~14Mbits down.
  4. Openreach engineer suggested router may be at fault.
  5. Rang Plusnet support to see if they could see a problem. Advised that I had a 'User Domain Fault' which may be because of the router. I asked if my Line could be capped or have a low speed profile but was advised this wasn't a thing anymore.
  6. Swapped my current "BT Business smart Hub" for my old "Plusnet Hub One" but I get the SAME PROBLEM.  It syncs at ~47Mbits Down but only ~14Mbits down via BT Sppedtester.

In the past plusnet used to have the concept of a speed profile that had to be updated manually. I asked about this but was advised this wasn't a thing anymore. Can somebody confirm that this is still the case?

What else could causing this? It also occurs with a wired connection and with an alterative rj45 cable.

12 REPLIES 12
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Re: Good Sync but poor download speeds

Do you have a static ip?

If so then it could well be a PN profile problem - if may update itself overnight, if not hopefully one of the staff members may spot this thread and confirm or sort the problem.

staley84
Grafter

I do have a static IP.

Thanks.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 416

@staley84 

In that case although not known by some Plusnet agents, there is a separate Plusnet controlled profile setting not present on the much more common dynamic IP address system.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

staley84
Grafter

Thanks Baldrick1.

Any Plusnet tech staff able to take a look for me?

Thanks

staley84
Grafter

Is this likely to be something that Plusnet staff will see on here or am I better off contacting support again?

Thanks 

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

It can be hit or miss, one may see it and intervene. I will tag @Gandalf  which may help.

Or you could call in, it may be quicker, but only if you get someone who knows their stuff..

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@staley84 - try a disconnect/reconnect and see if it's any better.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

staley84
Grafter

thank you @bobpullen  That's fixed it.

Was it the profile that needed a kick?

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Fix

Yep, it was the profile. Bit disappointing it wasn't picked up when you spoke to support 😕

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

staley84
Grafter

@bobpullen Yes disappointing, especially because I specifically mentioned it had happened previously on my account.

There is obviously a technical reason why this profile exists (not sure why it only impacts users with static IPs though), but why does the profile drop and more importantly, why does it require manual intervention to reset? Seems like a support nightmare.

Thanks again for sorting.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 416

@staley84 

In a nutshell static IP addresses ae routed through different equipment.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

@staley84 wrote:

@bobpullen Yes disappointing, especially because I specifically mentioned it had happened previously on my account.

There is obviously a technical reason why this profile exists (not sure why it only impacts users with static IPs though), but why does the profile drop and more importantly, why does it require manual intervention to reset?

Short answer is long standing issues in BT Wholesale's B2B systems - sometimes revised line profiles are not communicated to Plusnet.

As hinted at by @Baldrick1 PPP session authentication and line control is implemented within Plusnet's domain as it is Plusnet who need to allocate the fixed IP as attached to the account.  Dynamic IP addresses are allocated locally at the connection point, within BT Wholesale's domain.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.