Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good Free Spyware software

jono
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 7

Good Free Spyware software

Hi, Could anyone recommend a Good Free Spyware program, I have for some years been using Ad-Aware but since the 2007 version came out I have nothing but bother with it, well its either that or Vista. I know someone is bound to say why run Vista but I like it, bit flakey at times but touch wood up to know not too bad.
Thanks in advance
Jono
18 REPLIES 18
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Good Free Spyware software

Not applicable

Jono - hate to state the obvious but if you have Vista you already have a free spyware programme, Windows Defender.
It's a matter of choice, but it is the only one that I use as it has real time protection and scanning.
Superantispyware, as mentioned is easy to use and a small download but it only scans and removes spyware.
If you want more, doubtless someone will come along and advise.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

My version of Superantispyware, recent scans incomming realtime
paulby
Grafter

You could try Spybot Search & Destroy.  There's an overview here.
I have to agree about AdAware and Vista - if you use AdAware 2007 it keeps crashing (it's a bit unstable on Xp too).  I've gone back to using AdAwareSE which, so far, has worked just fine.  I also run Spybot S&D on the same PCs. It seems that you need to scan with a couple of programs as what one misses the other seems to catch.
I had situations where Windows Defender has caught nothing, Spybot has caught a couple of things and AdAware has caught a few more (when run one after the other) - the programs are only as good as the definition files!
jono
Aspiring Pro

Thanks, I have used the Vista Windows Defender but it never seems to find anything where as Ad-Aware does (when it works) find spyware straight after a scan by Defender.
regards
jono
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I think people have missed the point. Jono is requesting sources for a Spyware program not an Anti-Spyware program.
I think he wants to spy on people Wink
Sorry...in a silly mood this morning Embarrassed
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Strat - perhaps you should add this to your post.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Hence the phrase Puppy Dog Eyes...ahhhhh
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Nick_Russell
Grafter

I have done quite a bit of testing with anti-spyware.  Ad-Aware 2007 Free version has a current problem updating. They are aware of the problem but no solution posted yet.  Before current problem it worked very well with Windows XP.
Spybot also very good but this and Ad-Aware does not give real on-line protection.  You have to manually update and run scan. AVG anti-spyware free version also no real on-line protection and manual update necessary. Full scan can take 2 hours!
Spyware terminator is a joy. You get automatic updates and real on-line protection, and can schedule a full scan.
http://www.spywareterminator.com/
Not applicable

Jonjo is right about Defender - it never finds anything on my computer either but I assumed that it was because of the real time protection and the fact that I use Firefox and set it delete cookies on shut down.
Just as an aside, are you sure that Defender is fully activated?  I only ask because once it is shut down it doesn't give any warning that it is not fully operational.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Open Defender, click on Tools, then Options then scroll down and set notification area to Always and Save.
jono
Aspiring Pro

Hi Nick Russell, I have had a look at the Spy ware Terminator you suggested, it comes with Antivirus and Browser safety, as you use it could you tell me if you can deselect those two items, I already run Internet Security software.
regards
jono
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Just had another look at Superantispywhere, it must have been shareware, after a while it hasen't any form of protection, only links to pay for the features  Undecided
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Quote from: Nick
.....Spyware terminator is a joy. You get automatic updates and real on-line protection, and can schedule a full scan......
http://www.spywareterminator.com/
Googled with <<spyware terminator genuine?>>and found a forum in which it was calimed there were two versions, one of which was rogue
http://forums.spywareinfo.com/index.php?s=&showtopic=113396
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.