Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Going to have to sell that Vigor

IngeJones
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Going to have to sell that Vigor

Can't use the wretched thing (Vigor 2760n).  The manual didn't match the menus out of the box - I upgraded the firmware.  Then the manual was inscrutable anyway so I went to the draytek site to look at their user-friendly tutorials - which were out of date and bore no resemblance to the UI of the router.  Even if I manage to connect with it, I won't feel confident I have secured everything I should have done.  Maybe it's designed for networking professionals Smiley
Anyway after I sell that on Ebay, I am thinking of the Fritz!box 3390.  I notice a lot of people here use the 7390. Is the 3390 exactly the same as the 7390 but without the telephone stuff?
Or... alternatively (yes quite a difference I know), is there an updated version of the Thomson with Gigabit LAN ports?
4 REPLIES 4
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Going to have to sell that Vigor

why not use the TG582n with a gigabyte switch unless you need all the bells and whistles of a better one
IngeJones
Aspiring Pro

I am already using a gigabyte switch on the LAN side, but with fibre broadband, are the 10/100 ports not already acting as a bottleneck between us and the outside world?
CX
Grafter

You're fine, with currently-available speeds. 100Mbps is enough for the maximum speeds from FTTC.
As for the Draytek; were you hoping to use its own modem, or the BT OpenReach modem? You would need to enter the details into the appropriate WANx area (i.e. WAN1, WAN2 and WAN3) - one is for the internal modem, one is for a modem connected via Ethernet, and one is for a USB 3G dongle.
Drayteks can be a bit arse about face - you tend to configure a rule for what you want to do (e.g. unblock a port), and then once that's done you configure where that rule gets applied. Nothing is particularly intuitive, but you get used to it... eventually. It will probably ask you to reboot for activating what seem like trivial changes too.
IngeJones
Aspiring Pro

Yeah, we wanted to cut down on the amount of clutter needed by combining, that was the original idea.  I think I may have found the correct settings for actually getting online with the Vigor (but last time I tried I had forgotten to disable auto setup on my account).  My worry now is that we run a webserver at home, and therefore have to forward a port or two.  With the vigor being so unintuitive I am going to set something really stupid and get someone rummaging around where they shouldn't be Cheesy
And quite honestly, I HATE the depth of nesting to everything, menu under menu, tabs under menus, extra pulldowns, blah blah.  It needs some intrepid person to have a few weeks spare to make a nice configuration tool so you can set it all in a friendly way and upload the config file to the menu when done.  Cool
One thing attracting me to the Fritz right now is a very nicely written guide to setting it up as a mini webserver - would be very useful to divert incoming traffic to a friendly explanation page for when we are maintaining the usual server.