cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Going fibre - best router?

SkylineUK
Grafter

Going fibre - best router?

I've got a NETGEAR "Wireless-N 300 Modem Router DGN 2200". It's probably over four years old.
I'm going to switch to fibre and was wondering if anyone can tell me:-
(1) Will I need to replace this router for fibre? (I don't want the PlusNet router which I understand doesn't give a strong wireless signal)
(2) If I need to replace it, what's an excellent one to buy?
(3) If this is also the modem, does that mean where it's plugged in (upstairs study) is where the BT line enters my house?  I'm anxious that when the BT engineer comes he doesn't have to install metres of unsightly extension cable all over the place.
I have my main PC in a first floor study and a couple of laptops are in use on the ground floor.
Many thanks for any help proffered!
John
5 REPLIES 5
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Going fibre - best router?

I got one of these yesterday - http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?model=TL-WDR3600. Relatively easy to set up, has Gb LAN and dual band wireless and 2 USB ports for memory stick or external drive and for printer sharing.
Cost me £59.99 at Maplins - don't see them on their web site at the moment so may have been old stock. Argos has the same model at the same price for a tenner lessAngry
shure
Grafter

I  may be wrong here but as it's an ADSL modem router you probably won't be able to use it anymore, unless there's a way of switching the modem part off?  BT install their own fibre modem so all you need is a router.
What model depends on your needs and your budget.  I've recently taken the plunge and ordered an Asus RT-N66u, which is widely acknowledged as the best in it's class.  My requirements were QoS and a strong, consistent signal (I live in a house with thick walls), among other things.  It's not cheap, though, at around £110. but is apparently one of the easiest to set up, which is a bonus.  Asus generally has a good reputation for routers but on the other hand I've not heard great things about their customer support.
There are cheaper ones out there.  Just remember you only need a router, not a modem router!
From what I've seen on this forum the BT man may well put the router where you want it as long as you keep him supplied with an endless supply of tea and biscuits Wink
SkylineUK
Grafter

Many thanks shure!
Amazon UK list three of that model of router, which one is the one you bought may I ask?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=asus+rt+n66u&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=2627339933...
My house is Victorian and also has thick walls, but the Netgear is fine in that environment so I want to make sure I get something just as effective.
BT engineer comment: noted!
Wink
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

kitz
Aspiring Pro

Im using one of these
ZyXel VMG8324-B10A - Review
Be warned that you will likely have to update the firmware for FTTC, so if you want one that works straight out the box then its perhaps not for you. 
But now that Ive done that, Im very happy with this router which gave me an additional 3.5Mb max headline over the BT HG612 modem.
..  and Bonus is that HG612 Modem stats logging and graphing tools also works with it Smiley