Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GoToMyPC

Kremmen
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

GoToMyPC

Since joining PN I have been unable to get GoToMyPC to work when trying to access a clients server. I can access the server to enter my password but it just hangs at the following 'authentication' stage.
This is using a work laptop that works perfectly OK from the office so I know it's not the laptop settings.
A work colleague has just joined PN and he can access the client site via GoToMyPC perfectly OK !
Anyone got any ideas what I need to look at ?
Has to be a PN setting I've got that he hasn't. I did turn off the router firewall once and that made no difference.
I'll be at home with PN access Saturday so I'm just collecting ideas till then.
Thanks
Let's be careful out there !
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: GoToMyPC

You could set the Plusnet Broadband Firewall to 'Off' and see whether that makes the difference ?
(remember to restart your broadband connection after you have pressed [UPDATE SETTINGS] as the instructions say !)
Kremmen
Aspiring Pro

OK thanks  Smiley
I can't do that till Saturday anyway as I'm currently in a short 3 day 'training period' after a fault ticket reset.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Lremmen,
That need not be a problem.  Log into the modem and go to Internet connection settings.  There ought to be an option there to drop and re-establish the PPP session, which will bring the changed firewall settings into effect without dropping synch.
Cheers,
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Kremmen
Aspiring Pro

Thanks  Smiley
Kremmen
Aspiring Pro

Just checked from a different location and my BroadBand Firewall is Off.
It always has been.
Kremmen
Aspiring Pro

Mark as solved, found it .................. GoToMyPC won't go through Netgear Powerlines !!!
Connected the laptop wireless and it works as it should.
Smiley
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

When making changes to the Plusnet Firewall you only need to log-in to your (modem/)router and drop and re-establish a new PPP session for the changes to take effect as townman has already mentioned.
I would strongly recommend you set it to Low, unless for some reason you need to use the incoming ports that it closes.

Do you know why your GoToMyPC doesn't work via the Netgear Powerlines?
Kremmen
Aspiring Pro

My Plusnet firewall is off and the router firewall is set to standard. Norton firewall is default. With these settings my laptop will connect perfectly OK to my client network via wireless.
However, connect it via cable via Powerlines and not only does it not work but the laptop to router connection is totally zapped until I end the 'not responding' program. Routerstat shows the lost connection quite well.
If you look at the attached graphs they looks disastrous but the DSL and Internet connections stayed solid throughout.