cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give me a reason to stay

telwebb

Give me a reason to stay

Currently losing my broadband several times during an evening. Multiple restarts make no difference then the service randomly restarts. I invested in an inependent router to see if it helped, but all it does is drop out more expensively ( Wink ). My contract is up and my monthly expense has more than doubled, and that for a service I can't depend on. Anyone think of a reason to stay? I can't.
8 REPLIES 8
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Re: Give me a reason to stay

Hi Telwebb,
A warm welcome to the forums.
A reason to stay - if the problem is as you describe, it is quite likely that the issue is your internal wiring or the phone line between your home and the exchange - that will remain the same no matter which ISP you pay your bill to.
Further there is a wealth of help available to you here on the forums for problems such as this.  The first step is to rule out anything to do with your internal set up - this is a necessary step in the fault trouble shooter process and is there to mitigate the risk of BTOR raising a 'fault found in user equipment' charge.  So you might be much better off staying here and (in the first instance) getting help from your fellow customers.
Take a look at the speed issues thread - link below - and post back here the requested stats.
Is the phone line noisy?  Dial 17070 option 2 - it should be nearly silent.
Is the router plugged into the master socket?
Is the device which disconnects a lot, connected by wire or wifi?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

telwebb

Thanks for the reply.
Firstly this is a new issue - nothing has changed with the internal wiring for quite some time.
Saying that it has always been accepted locally that a shortage of external cable capacity has a large effect on available speed, but not on connectivity.
You points, in order :
1.  No
2. Yes
3. Wire - its the main router
Really not good enough. Incidently I install & maintain network systems as part of my job - data, cctv, ip phone - so am not totally clueless Wink

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi telwebb,
It is difficult helping new members here - one can never tell what the capability level is like, so its best to start with the basics.
No noise on the line, plugged into the master socket and using Ethernet cable between the PC and the router (rather than wifi) rules out a good number of the usual culprits.
EXACTLY what do you mean by "losing my broadband several times during an evening" and "Multiple restarts"?  Do the lights on the modem / router go out?  Do they start to flash when they are normally steady ... or it is a matter that internet explorer simply says it cannot reach the requested website?
There are 4 different issues which can appear to give no internet connectivity...
xDSL down - no connection between the modem and the exchange
PPP down - no connection between the modem and PlusNet
Slow responsiveness - tends to be time related and is due to inadequate BT Wholesale capacity between the exchange and the ISP switch centre
Address resolution / routing issues - no connection between the PC program and the target service
Following the speed issues thread and posting the requested information will help eliminate the first two.
Establishing a TBB BQM (if your router will respond to WAN Pings) will help profile the 3rd issue
The last issue is a bit of a ball ache - needs some detailed diagnostics when the issue occurs - pings, tracert and nslookup
Am happy to assist if you want to get some insight into what's happening.  If its a line problem, then you are going to need PlusNet to get BTOR onto the case - if it is something else, then you might be able to mitigate it yourself, though with your own evidence it will be easier to argue the point when BTOR can find nothing wrong!  Huh
After all of that there is the dreaded possibility of REIN - but lets eliminate other possibilities first!  Wink

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

telwebb

Hi again - sorry to take so long replying but I tired of waiting for the connection to come back up. That is the issue - I can be browsing/reading mail quite normally then all of a sudden 'no internet connection'. On board diagnostics usually recommend rebooting the router but it usually makes no difference, the connection just returning randomly.
Anyway - router stats as requested :-
Current rate (Kbps) 664 / 4256
Attenuation (dB) 337 / 53
SNR Margin (dB) 7.2 / 3.1
BT test - 3.11 down / 0.45 up
Line speed (Plusnet) - 3.4 Mb
When it dropped as we were communicating last evening the routers own diagnostics reported a pass on all but PPP Server Connection in both 'internet browsing' and 'WAN interface'.
thanks for taking the time,
Terry
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Terry,
Interesting figures!  For the attenuation, the synch speed is near enough where it should be , though the down stream SNRM is rather low.  If you are encountering repeated drop of SYNCH, I would be surprised that you have a target SNRM of 3dB.  If the line is dropping a great deal, I'd expect the DLM to have moved that to 6dB or even higher.  That might point to other issues.
The up stream attenuation seems completely wrong - I've never seen the US attenuation reported as 3 digits - can you check that please?  Did you copy and paste these figures or did you transcribe them?  33.7 or 37 would be a reasonable figure.  If it helps, you can copy & paste these figures from the router web page to the forum post.
What profile figure did the BT speed test further diagnostics report?
The PlusNet current speed figure is somewhat low for the current synch speed, however if you've recently reconnected, the PN profile might still need to catch up.
Which router are you using?  Which PlusNet router have you got?
We need more diagnostics here - if you have the TG582n from PlusNet or your router is support by routerstats (see link below) - are you 'up' for downloading routerstats (full product) and configuring it along the lines described in the link below?
This tool needs to run constantly - it will show in more detail exactly what is happening on your line - disconnections, speed changes, SNRM variability - which will all help point towards the problem.  It is still not clear to me if you are loosing synch, PPP or for intervals you cannot reach some web sites.
Quote from: telwebb
When it dropped as we were communicating last evening the routers own diagnostics reported a pass on all but PPP Server Connection in both 'internet browsing' and 'WAN interface'.

Does that test indicate if you are connected to the PlusNet gateway?  Sometimes I've seen these tests report connection to the gateway, but not the DNS servers.
Which OS are you using?
Kevin

pint
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

You said your contract is up, and the ( plusnet) prices have also gone up - probably as a result of the end of a free trail period
If your contract is definitely up, and your not contracted to something like Free or 1/2 price for 6 or 12 months then £9.99 thereafter on a 12/18 month contract then you need to do the following:
Shop around, price up as many providers as possible and look at how much it would costs to move your phone/internet to another provider over a 12 month period and a 24 month period ( total cost )
Look at things like
ADSL cost over contract length ( also see how much fibre would cost)
is the internet package unlimited , or restricted? what siuts you best? would a limited deal be cheaper?Huh
Call packages  ie anytime/ evening+weekends etc
Line rental
line rental with any so called saver package
Draw it all up and come up with a list of who would cost what over 12 months/18months/24 months
]From that you will then know that if you stay with plusnet as is it will cost you £x, Talk Talk £X, BT £X Sky £x and so on.
Call plusnet tell them that you want to leave, as ISPX is cheaper and will only cost £x compared to your current deal with plusnet, if no luck then say you will consider your options.
Try again and if still no luck tell them you wil consider your options again, and then get in touch with your chosen new provider and move.
telwebb

Sorry - yes it is 33.7 - my typo.
Router is a TP-Lnk TD-W8970.
When I lose connection it is to all things internet from any and all of my connected equipment.
OS is windowx 8.

Terry
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Terry,
Are you up to giving routerstats a go as per my last reply?