cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gigabit router to replace Technicolour TG582n

kkar

Gigabit router to replace Technicolour TG582n

Hi,
I am building a new home NAS and I realised that the switch on the technicolour is only 100MB - I assume the only way to get around this is to replace it with a better router - does anyone have any recommendations? gigabit wifi would be nice too but I am mostly concerned about the switch part I guess. Thanks
9 REPLIES 9
GeordieMark
Grafter

Re: Gigabit router to replace Technicolour TG582n

Hi kkar,
I don't believe gigabit wifi is a thing (not in residential routers anyway) but I use a TP-LINK WDR4900 which has gigabit ports and I believe the headline wifi speeds are 950mbps, depending on your other hardware of course, but I've had no issues with throughput on this router wired or wireless.
xreyuk
Grafter

Gigabit WiFi is a thing, it's called the 802.11ac standard, but not many devices (or even routers) have it yet.
I'd recommend the TP-Link WDR3600 (it's what I have) it has simultaneous 2.4Gz and 5Ghz WiFI banding, or if your hardware supports it, it can combine the two channels to give faster speeds. It's a very customisable router, and comes in around the £50 mark.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

If the router is otherwise working for you, you could always just buy a gigabit switch?
An example http://www.ebuyer.com/411321-netgear-gs205-5-port-gigabit-ethernet-switch-gs205-100uks
kkar

Thanks Mark_ and Xreyuk. I will check those out. Would they need special settings to get going once they are plugged in to the BT modem?
Also pwatson - can I just plugin that switch to the BT modem or would it need setting? I assume it would be pointless to connect it to the technicolour as the output from that is 100mbit.
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

both those TP-Link routers are for Fibre/Cable, the OP might be ADSL.
pwatson
Rising Star

Quote from: kkar
Also pwatson - can I just plugin that switch to the BT modem or would it need setting? I assume it would be pointless to connect it to the technicolour as the output from that is 100mbit.

It's an extra box - Leave you router plugged into the modem and plug a LAN port of the router into the switch.  Connect your devices to the switch instead of the router.
dragon2611
Grafter

Assuming you don't have any advanced setup where the devices are on different LAN's then you will find anything gigabit capable connected to the switch should be able to benefit from the higher speeds.
Traffic between the 2 devices on the switch shouldn't need to go via the router.
kkar

Quote from: pwatson
Quote from: kkar

It's an extra box - Leave you router plugged into the modem and plug a LAN port of the router into the switch.  Connect your devices to the switch instead of the router.

The LAN port? can you please tell me what one that is? here is the picture: http://community.plus.net/library/hardware/tg582n-information-and-specifications/
The yellow ports are all 100mbit no? so how would the switch take advantage of this?!
pwatson
Rising Star

Plug one of the yellow ports into the switch.  Any devices plugged into the switch will be able to communicate at 1000Mb/s but wireless devices will be limited to 100Mb/s,  Your broadband is <100Mb/s so there's no problem there.