cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gigabit Ethernet

weasley

Gigabit Ethernet

First of all, I am (currently) very happy with my connection speeds (not fast, but as fast as it gets on our creaky old village exchange).
Anyway, I bought and renovated a house last year and whilst the walls were being chopped about for power, I had Cat6 cable run to all rooms.  In the last few days I have finally got around to getting the Ethernet up and running.  I have terminated the Cat6 cables with Cat6 face plates in each room (some rooms have 2, some have 4).  I have added Cat6 RJ45 connectors to the other ends of the cables (all collated in the understairs cupboard).  The Plusnet 582n router (with USB) is in the same location, so I plugged in the cables and now have Ethernet to 4 ports around the house.  I plan to get a network switch soon to increase the number of active ports.
Now, given that I went to some length to make sure the whole lot was Cat6-equipped, I find that the router only runs the Ethernet ports at 10/100.  Since the router is currently at the heart of the network, I guess I have a couple of options...
1. Suck it up and deal with it
2. Replace the Technicolor router with a Gigabit-enabled alternative.
I assume that Plusnet don't offer a Gigibit-capable router?
Can I run the Plusnet router as a modem-only and then use a Gigabit router to handle Ethernet?
Any suggestions for a decent Gigabit router that plays nicely with Plusnet and is straightforward to set-up and maintain?
For context, I have a variety of devices that use the LAN and broadband - Sky+ HD, desktop PC, PS3, Apple TV (plus various iPhones and iPads).  I occasionally stream pictures and music from the PC to the PS3 and Apple TV, and from iPad/iPhone to Apple TV.  I would like also to stream movies in the same way (I have not really got into that yet due to the current limitations on my broadband speed (around 3.5 Mbps max) meaning I don't have the time/patience to download large files).  However, faster rural broadband is expected here in the next couple of months, so I am thinking about being ready for it.
Maybe I am being over-sensitive and 10/100 is faster than anyone needs?  I went Cat6 simply for future proofness.  I also ran coax to every room, even though we have no current need for it.
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Gigabit Ethernet

Hi Weasley,
Just get yourself a gigabit switch so you'll at least have that on the internal LAN, as regards the modem / router no point. If you ever get those sort of speeds on broadband chances are you'll have a Fibre in the house and all the goodies to support it.
weasley

Thanks - that's a good point.  I could use the Ethernet ports on the Plusnet router for non-speed-critical stuff (eg the Vodafone Sure Signal box) and use the switch for fast internal transfer.  I hadn't though of that.  Smiley
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

I can thoroughly recommend this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/TRENDnet-TEG-S82g-8-Port-Gigabit-GREENnet/dp/B00C2H0YFU (various port quantities to suit your needs).  My 8-port runs really cool and consumes minimal power.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

I use an 8port gigabit switch for all my machines, the outgoing connection is the only one connected to the router, so if you ever get fibre or a router with gigabit connections then you can use them as well, but all the traffic I have goes via the switch.
Anonymous
Not applicable

For what it's worth I use :
TP-Link  TL-R480T+ 4 Port WAN Load Balancing Router connected to dual PlusNet ADSL Lines with the router then connected to a TP-Link TL-SG3216 16 port managed switch.
http://www.tp-link.com/lk/products/details/?categoryid=&model=TL-R480T%2b (Router)
http://www.tp-link.com/lk/products/details/?model=TL-SG3216 (Switch)
weasley

Thanks all.  I think I became too fixated on using the ports of the router, when I should just treat it as a broadband link and let the switch do the hard work.