Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting worse after support ticket raised

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 161

Re: Getting worse after support ticket raised

Very interesting observations!  Notably the PPP session duration is longer than the xDSL duration.  Those facts fit your observations and somewhat prove an illogical perception a number of us have held for a while - that PPP sessions can survive the loss of the xDSL carrier session.
Sight of the router log over that period would be useful.  Note that the telnet log is much longer than the GUI log.
Which version of software do you have?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

loveextasy
Grafter

For this router TG582n is it normally that PPP sessions could survive while DSL session lost, even when there was not such a big number of DSL lost (ie. DSL can last for more than a day). Was really surprise about this though.
However this only happened to TG582n. With the SBG3300 it was just struggling to re-connect when these "resets" occur in a short period of time.
I don't have access to the router at the moment but will have a look when I get back home. I checked the log yesterday though, saying PPP session lost at about 17:54 and re-gained the connection after 20 seconds...without any log about the PPP session
The most confused is that from PlusNet's end all my connection is fine but it just not so good at my end  Sad
Thanks for your time Kevin!
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Quote from: loveextasy
I checked the log yesterday though, saying PPP session lost at about 17:54 and re-gained the connection after 20 seconds...without any log about the PPP session
The most confused is that from PlusNet's end all my connection is fine but it just not so good at my end  Sad

And that is the flaw in the diagnostic method.
PlusNET monitor / plot the PPP sessions
It is presumed...
1. No PPP means no XDSL - whilst this valid most of the time, where a router is configured to 'connect on demand' such presumption will lead to the wrong conclusions about xDSL stability - recourse should be made to BTw xDSL session stats (that would be useful in this case)
2. Continious PPP means stable xDSL - your case rather shows a flaw in that logic - indeed given that the PPP runs 'over' the xDSL session I do not understand how it can survive the loss of xDSL
In your comment above about router logs did you mean loss of PPP or xDSL?  Sight of the log would be useful please.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

loveextasy
Grafter

Apologies for the typo....I actually mean DSL lost while PPP remains....
Yes I will get some screenshot from the log page, and dome telnet if I manage to find some, later today
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi,
If you can (quickly please) I'd like you to post your router log from after midday on 25th Sept - have you seen any drops since then?

loveextasy
Grafter

Quote from: Townman

If you can (quickly please) I'd like you to post your router log from after midday on 25th Sept - have you seen any drops since then?

I cannot post now, but what I can let you know is that, the screenshot I posted here last night was the latest, which suggests 29 or so resets since Friday 25th or Monday 29th (sorry cannot remember when I restarted router), and the 17.54 or so re-connection is happened yesterday evening Sad
However I think this would be helpful to verify the disagreement between my router and PlusNet's monitor
loveextasy
Grafter

Quote from: Townman

Hi Kevin,
Sorry I only managed to get something from the router now.....
Please see the attachments for logs on router. This is the latest and happened just now on Thursday 1st Oct around 7pm.
I also noticed that the number of line reset is the same as the Loss of Signal, so I really doubt it is because the change of cable.....
Thanks again.
Chong
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Chong,
We need to be very precise and focussed here please.  We need to obtain evidence which proves that the router loses the xDSL session and maintains the PPP session across the drop and resynch.  The following telnet command will return the whole of the router log - do you know how to telnet into the router?  http://npr.me.uk might be useful to you.
:syslog msgbuf show

Router connection times showing the PPP to be longer than the xDSL are again useful.  From a PlusNet (and part of BTw's) diagnostic data you are not loosing your connection.  To get this issue addressed, we are going to have to present evidence of drops in order to drive an engineer visit.  BTOR might not visit without line stats which show there is an issue.

loveextasy
Grafter

Kevin,
Thanks for the guide. I have now got the log from telnet for the last 1 and half days when I rebooted the router again, and some DSL drops happened while PPP session maintained.
Please let me know if that is with some useful info.
Thanks.
Chong
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Chong,
To make the inspection easy, here is the important part of the log.
<173> Oct 3 21:06:01 xDSL linestate down
<85> Oct 3 21:06:02 FIREWALL event (1 of 1): created rules
<85> Oct 3 21:06:02 FIREWALL event (1 of 1): modified rules
<173> Oct 3 21:06:14 xDSL linestate up (ITU-T G.992.1; downstream: 3488 kbit/s,upstream: 448 kbit/s; output Power Down: 18.0 dBm, Up: 12.1 dBm; line Attenuation Down: 56.5 dB, Up: 31.5 dB; snr Margin Down: 6.3 dB, Up: 19.0 dB)
<85> Oct 3 21:06:15 FIREWALL event (1 of 1): deleted rules
<81> Oct 3 21:07:59 FIREWALL replay check (1 of 5): Protocol: ICMP Src ip: 192
.168.1.103 Dst ip: 83.86.41.88 Type: Destination Unreachable Code: Port Unreacheable
<173> Oct 3 21:08:01 xDSL linestate down
<85> Oct 3 21:08:02 FIREWALL event (1 of 1): created rules
<85> Oct 3 21:08:02 FIREWALL event (1 of 1): modified rules
<173> Oct 3 21:08:15 xDSL linestate up (ITU-T G.992.1; downstream: 3488 kbit/s,upstream: 448 kbit/s; output Power Down: 18.0 dBm, Up: 12.3 dBm; line Attenuation Down: 56.0 dB, Up: 31.5 dB; snr Margin Down: 6.4 dB, Up: 19.0 dB)

There is clearly no mention of a change in PPP state.  It is concerning that the xDSL session was established and then lost again.

@CRT,
Can you comment please - none of this is making much sense.

loveextasy
Grafter

Hi Kevin,
Thanks very much for pointing out the important bit  Grin
However I have found that, since Friday last week my line is a little bit more stable than before Friday, such short connection and re-connection (less than 10 mins) happened only about once or twice per day on average.
But none of the connections lasts for 1 day or more anyway, so I think there should still be something wrong with it.
Could the installation of Openreach socket causing this? I have had a phone engineer came in about 1 month ago and replaced the socket, then a broadband engineer came In replaced a couple of cables between exchange and cabinet (which I mentioned here before), so no idea what caused this to b honest, but this did not happened before the phone engineer came (as far as I can remember). The issued before was a lot of disconnections which showing at both ends of mine and PlusNet's.
Thanks again:)
Chong