Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting worse after support ticket raised

loveextasy
Grafter

Getting worse after support ticket raised

Hi,
I have raised a ticket on Thursday evening when my ADSL connection dropped 4-5 times within 1 hour, and PlusNet send it to broadband team for monitoring.
However, yesterday evening between 6-7 pm I got another series of dropping with a burst of CRC errors and the speed dropped to 248kb/s at the lowest and I am still banded by that, although the sync speed went back to around 1Mb/s.
So I am just wondering if there is any update from the broadband support team identifying any issue with my line? I have got a phone engineer came this Monday morning couldn't find any issue....
Thanks.
40 REPLIES 40
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Getting worse after support ticket raised

Hi there,
I'm glad to see this has already been picked up and hope the engineer visit we've arranged for tomorrow helps.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
loveextasy
Grafter

SNRM and Max speed decreasing without any significant errors

Hi,
I am experience a strange ADSL connection since around 19.30 yesterday.
The SNR margin is decreasing slightly during each report of DSLstats, and it continued till this morning when I checked before I left for work, and it seems like is it going to continue....also the max speed reported by the router is decreasing as well, even lower than the current speed....the FECX errors was increasing significantly, from less than 200 to more than 20,000 (please see the attachments for the snapshot from DSLstats. sorry no FEC at the mo, but if you need I can get it to you this evening)
I just had an Openreach broadband engineer came in on Tuesday morning, changed a couple of cables outside of my property, and the stability seemed to increase that no drops since then. But I don't think the decrease in SNRM is a good sign of my line.
This problem happened about a week ago, and it resulted in my speed getting to just about 224kb/s which is useless. So could you do another test on my line and advise please?
Thanks,
Regards,
Chong
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

mod:note
merged topics to keep relevant info in one place.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Hi Chong,
A warm welcome to the forums.  Sight of your router stats subsequent to the above activity would be most useful, from which we can determine if your line is now working to expectations.
The decrease in SNRM during the hours of darkness is entirely normal; it arises from continental radio interference.  -2dB is not unreasonable.  The max speed figure is a theoretical figure, not the one at which the link is operating.  The rate figure is the actual speed and that remains unchanged.  You should see the SNRM rise to its normal figure after dawn.
HTH,
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Kevin's put it a lot clearer than I could! The SNR margin isn't something I'd worry about unless it starts getting close to 0, at that point you may see issues but at the moment nothing really to worry about.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
loveextasy
Grafter

Thanks for your replies guys.
I haven't got a screenshot of this morning's SNRM, which is quite close to 0....less than 2 already, and the trend is decreasing either....
I will update here when I got back home this evening to see if that's the matter of night continental radio.
But your answers are a relief to me Smiley
Thanks again.
loveextasy
Grafter

Unfortunately, my connection speed came back to 960 kbps as before when it hasn't been fixed.....
This happened just at 7.30am this morning...
Please could you have a look at the 3 attachments and advise?
Thanks
loveextasy
Grafter

Unfortunately, my connection speed came back to 960 kbps as before when it hasn't been fixed.....
This happened just at 7.30am this morning...
Please could you have a look at the 4 attachments and advise?
Thanks
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Chong,
Oh dear!
There are (at least) two things in play here, continental interference as per the first graph you provided and variable interference from other sources.  As an aside, you should be plotting the connection rate, not the max speed - it is of no help or relevance.  Indeed to some extent its a hinderance, as the varying max rate obscures the line drop and resynch events.
Time for some detailed explanations.  SNRM is a measure of the signal's margin above the background noise.  It is not an absolute measure of the signal strength.  If (without a change in connection speed) the margin goes up, a source of interference has ceased or reduced; if the margin goes down, a source of interference has started or increased.  A step change indicates that some defective electrical device has been switched off (step up) or on (step down).  Devices to think about include: Central heating controls; TVs; fridge / freezers; fluorescent lights (especially low energy CFLs); anything with a 'power block' for example as used with a lap top; CCTV systems, especially those with IR cameras...
You need to look at correlating the marked changes in the SNRM graph with the use of electrical equipment in your locality.  It could be in your home, in your neighbour's home or outside, for example street lighting.
Your internal telephone wiring can be very instrumental in picking up interference, can you please describe exactly what your internal wiring looks like and how your router is connected to the phone line.  Think about the number of extensions, the type of wires and how they are connected to the master socket.  Remove the face plates and describe to connections to the back, number and colour of the wires.
I should warn you that this might well take time to identify the source of the problem, will involve a lot of watching and running around switching stuff off and on looking for changes.  I suspect that there is more than one source of problem here.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

loveextasy
Grafter

Hi Kevin,
thanks for your reply.
To be honest I do not think it is my internal wiring problem, as I only have one master socket, and it is already connected to the test socket, via an ADSL filter. Sad
It was all fine for about 1.5 months until the week before last week...all of a sudden the connection dropped a lot during some of the days, and on average once per day of dropping, and some drops resulted in decrese of speed to even less than 300k which is unusable.
I have no idea why this happened to be honest, but I think could be some issues between my property and the cabinet, as the broadband engineer came on Tuesday and changed a couple of cables between the cabinet and exchange and the speed really increased by 0.5M which is a big increase to my line (current speed is around 3.3M and previous was 2.7M)
Thanks again Smiley
Regards,
Chong
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Chong,
The presence of internal wiring, even if thought not to be 'in use' can be detrimental.  If there are other extensions, those wires will act as aerials picking up interference.  You can eliminate that possibility by removing the lower face plate and connect direct to the test socket.
The engineering work could have altered the line balance, making it more susceptible to interference.  Correcting that would be helpful, but identifying and eliminating the source of the interference will be much more beneficial.  If you have a portable AM radio try tuning it to around 615kHz and wander around looking for marked changes in noise.
Kevin

loveextasy
Grafter

Hi Kevin,
No I do not have any extension at all, the only telephone socket is the master one and the route is already connected to the test socket...
Really weird Sad
Regards,
Chong
dick:quote
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Chong,
Well that is good news.  Now you need to look for correlations with things happening within or nearby your home.  In addition to the list of things I mentioned, if you live in a block of flats, think about lift usage...
I very much doubt that (aside from an unbalanced pair) the line is likely to have much bearing on this one.

@CRT,
What does the a/c balance look like please?
Kevin

loveextasy
Grafter

Thanks Kevin.
the line became stable for the last 1.5 days till now....so really no idea what happened
but anyway that is a good sign for some one-off problems  Grin
Thanks again!