cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting horrendous speeds after the outage earlier today 28/10/13

Ichimaru

Getting horrendous speeds after the outage earlier today 28/10/13

After the earlier outage that occurred today my speed has plummeted and its pretty horrendous at how slow it is. While I should be getting close to 45-50 down/10 up I'm now getting anything from 10-20 down/3 up. Tried resetting the router multiple times and its still the same.
Was wondering if anybody else is having the same issue?    
11 REPLIES 11
shalom2010
Grafter

Re: Getting horrendous speeds after the outage earlier today 28/10/13

I would advise you to let things settle for 7-14 days - it's DLM on the line. I'm afraid unless there's a fault I don't think there's anything you can do your end but wait!
Ichimaru

Hmm, that's a real bummer. I just hope it gets back to normal soon and doesn't take too long.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

I've just run a few tests on your line to ensure there wasn't anything obvious that might be causing you a problem.
The output was showing a potential fault on the telephone line. As we aren't your Telephone Provider, I'm unable to get much more information on this.
I would advise giving your telephone Provider a quick call and requesting a Copper Line Test, just to ensure that everything is clear on the line. Your connection rate does look fine, however, the throughput you're seeing could be potentially hampered by a fault on the telephone service.
Ichimaru

The funny thing is, up until the short outage at 17:00 yesterday everything was perfectly fine. It was only after the outage when my speed plummeted, a coincidence that the phone line decided to crash at the same time as the outage?
I'm no expert but maybe all this is due to the storm that hit on Sunday night/Monday morning? 
Either way I'll call BT and see what is happening on their end.

Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I'm not sure as we're not your telephone provider to be honest, but I see where you're coming from.
I'm just relaying the information the test results gave me which is what I based my response on. It's worth checking anyway, if no fault is found on the telephone line, we'll get our Faults Team to take a look over things without any problems.
Ichimaru

I've just spoken to the guys over at BT and they're supposedly reporting an external fault on the line and there's supposed to be some kind of update on the 4th or get it fixed by that date, whether or not that's really is the case we'll just have to wait and see.  
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Ok, no problem. Let us know once that resolved if you need anything looking at on the broadband side of things.
Ichimaru

Just a quick update. I've spoken to the engineer early this morning and what I've been told was the phone line has been fixed and it was the cabling being faulty due to the storm.
For the time being I'll continue to monitor my speeds and see if it gets any better although at the moment I'm not seeing any major difference, I'm still only getting half of what I should be getting.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Ok, that's good news. You'll need to allow time for the speed profile on our systems to auto update. Please let us know how your speeds are fairing out over the next few days.
Ichimaru

I've been monitoring my speeds over the last few days and nothing has really changed, maybe a slight increase but I'm still not getting anywhere near the speeds I should be getting. 

Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for monitoring that.
Could you please complete http://faults.plus.net to the end so that our Faults Team can take a look at this issue for you and we'll get those speeds improved for you - they are some way off the estimated.