Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting divorced from dial-up with AOL

maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

Getting divorced from dial-up with AOL

I am in the process of helping a referree to switch from dial-up with AOL to BBwith PN. As I have no experience of AOL I would appreciate any advice. My referree has even less knowledge than I!
My first concern regards cancelling the AOL subscription, which is paid for by monthly credit card subscription. I anticipate that finding the Cancel My Subscription page on the AOL portal will be challenging.
I would also like to remove all the AOL clutter, particularly since my referrees' laptop takes a long time to start-up.
Does anyone know how long after cancelling the account would AOL allow access to email, in order to extract address lists. Would the referrees' AOL email account be accessible without going via the dial-up route?
Anything else I should be concerned about, as I have heard whispers that an AOL divorce can be messier than the McCartney's
My other car isn't a Ferrari
11 REPLIES 11
James
Grafter

Re: Getting divorced from dial-up with AOL

Hiya,
I think that your best bet would be to give AOL a ring and ask them about their cancellation policy regarding email and billing.
Uninstalling the AOL software would be a good idea Smiley
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

I think you can just revert AOL to a pay-as-you-go account and the email stays forever at no charge.
And yes, it's a good idea to remove all the AOL stuff.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Just a suggestion..........  write down all the email addresses in the "contact/address book" on a piece of paper, then add them to you new account with plusnet when you get it set up..... that way, you will have a "back-up" paper copy, for future reference as well.... (just in case you lose the lot when migrating from AOL)
Wink
James
Grafter

Or to save writing, take screenshots instead.
deadkenny
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: maranello
I anticipate that finding the Cancel My Subscription page on the AOL portal will be challenging.

Almost certainly non-existent. I've never experience an ISP, or communication company in general that offers cancellation online.
ISPs are quite notorious for ignoring cancellations (NTL was one of the worst). I'd advise phoning and back it up with a letter written to their standard contact address (or address on your bill), and send it recorded delivery.
Recorded at leasts gives you the back up that they received it on a particular date should you need to argue with them later, and it also tends to encourage them to do something about it rather than just ignore it.
I don't know how AOL are for billing but I know they're a nightmare in many other ways. However, it's common for some ISPs to then continue to bill even after cancellation, and even go as far as sending letters about non payment! Sad but does happen (again NTL were bad for this). Just be prepared for this. Don't pay anything you shouldn't be paying though, but you will need to contact them about any further demands for payment otherwise they'll hand it over to a debt collection company who will get rather threatening. Though note you may have a final month's payment to cover as cancellation usually involves 30 day notice.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

One thing to be aware of.
When you remove your AOL software you lose all your browser bookmarks etc.
I think it is possible to export them first but it isn't easy.
Mad_Moggies
Rising Star

In my experience, AOL keep sending begging letters for you to return to them once you've left.
You can, or at least could 4+ years ago when I left AOL dial-up for PlusNet broadband, have a reduced cost (a fiver a month or so) AOL account piggybacking onto broadband with another provider, where you can still access email till you're sure everyone who needs to has your new address.
Hope this helps (and is still the case).
Plusnet user since November 2003
Full Fibre since September 2023
Mac OS14 and Firefox user with latest versions of both
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

A friend did that when going from AOL broadband to Virgin Cable about a year ago
glyndev
Grafter

Re. email addresses and bookmarks. why not use copy and past to put them into a plain text file then do the reverse when aol is gone
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: deadkenny
Quote from: maranello
I anticipate that finding the Cancel My Subscription page on the AOL portal will be challenging.

Almost certainly non-existent. I've never experience an ISP, or communication company in general that offers cancellation online.

There's at least one!
Edit: The Plusnet way to make you stay is to make you want to stay, not hinder you leaving.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
deadkenny
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: jelv
There's at least one!
Edit: The Plusnet way to make you stay is to make you want to stay, not hinder you leaving.

True. I've not had any reason really to go see if PlusNet has a cancellation button. Thankfully Smiley