cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting disconnected in the evening

clanger

Getting disconnected in the evening

Hello,
For the past week or so I have been noticed that my service detoriates severly in the evening. I expect speeds to decrease during prime hours, but as it stands my internet is unusable.
After around 9pm I lose my ADSL connection every 5-10 minutes without fail (checking router confirms this). I have also been pinging a server and noticed that many packets are getting dropped, with the frequency increasing in the evening (this is aside from the dropped connection).
I have only been at this address for around 3 weeks, so it could be some problem with my phone line (although it seemed to work fine at first).
Can anyone recommend some tests/tools I can run/use to try and find out the cause of this problem? Or should I just start a ticket with plus.net and get my line checked.
Thanks,
Clanger
2 REPLIES 2
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Getting disconnected in the evening

Poor speeds in the evening could be due to congestion at the exchange. However that should not cause disconnections so most likely poor speeds are related to the latter.
The best approach is probably to visit the Broadband Connection Problems help page and click the My broadband connection drops link. If those checks don't fix the problem raise a fault ticket using the Broadband Troubleshooter.
David
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Getting disconnected in the evening

^^ What he said Smiley
Mainly we need to confirm that the fault is still apparent with the router in the master socket (with two different filters) and all phone items removed from the line, as that proves it's not being caused by anything at your premises. If that is the case then run through the broadband troubleshooter link above and we'll get it investigated for you.
If you can try the test socket then so much the better - that removes the internal wiring as a possible cause as well.