cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting better speeds on fiber

rmharrison
Dabbler

Getting better speeds on fiber

Hello, I'm on fiber, is there a way that I could get better speeds? at the moment im getting around 32mbs.
Is there a way I can get a better speed from my line, and what would I need to do to get it other then move house, I only live about a mile from the exchange and my cabinet is only across the road from me, when I was on a normal line I always got top end speeds as I'm not very far from the exchange.
I'd like to add that my line seems to shows no faults that speed is just what I get, is there any settings on plusnet's side that could change? or get my line upgraded?
Has anyone got any suggestions?
Rich
8 REPLIES 8
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Getting better speeds on fiber

A few things
Please do another BT speedtest but this time select the  Diagnostic after it completes and report the result
Which fibre product are you on
Are those results via a wireless connection
rmharrison
Dabbler

I run my network on an cable network for faster backups around the house anyways so its not on a wireless,
My package is on the ultimate fibre Broadband.
and attached is a screen shot of another speed test
Mattz0r
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Hey there rmharrison,
I've done a quick check for you. Your line estimate is 44.7Mbps.  Your modem is currently syncing at 35.4Mbps with a profile of 20-40Mb
No errors showing on the connection from what I can see.
Has the modem been power cycled recently to re-sync to the cab?
Regards,
Matt
rmharrison
Dabbler

Everything was power cycled yesterday afternoon.
Rich
thomasjc1
Grafter

If you were on the 80/20 service and if your cab is only just over the road then you should be getting full speed
rmharrison
Dabbler

I can see my cab from my front door, and my exchange is just around the corner not even a mile off, someone said that it could be the copper going to my house, how can I get it upgraded?
x47c
Grafter

I would guess the cab' nearby is NOT the one the OP is connected to.
The cab's should have a number painted/stencilled on them.
Check with link below to see whether it gives the same cab number on the top line as the nearby one.
http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome
If not then you need to start walking to find it and estimate the distance 'as the cable runs' back to your house
If it really was the nearby cab then the estimate would not be around 40Mbps -  it would be 75
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi there,
I'd suggest running through our faults wizard at http://faults.plus.net and we can take a look over you connection if there''s no improvment.