cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting Fiber and having the master socket moved.

Oxslow
Grafter

Getting Fiber and having the master socket moved.

I have just looked and instead of saying I can't get fibre until the end of March it says it is available now Cheesy
Before I place my order I have a some question. My master socket is in the hall above the front door so over 2 meters off the ground with no plug socket in the hall stairs and landing. I have 1 extension that comes from the master socket to the room above where my router and phone is. The phone line on it way to the house runs down the outside wall of the computer room  to the master socket. Now time for the questions.
Can BT Openreach move my master socket to the room above (computer room)?
Will they move it for me when I get fibre activated?
Will I have to pay extra for them to move the master socket?
6 REPLIES 6
NedLudd
Grafter

Re: Getting Fiber and having the master socket moved.

In my case the BT OR guy couldn't have done more. At his suggestion he wired an extension from the master socket/modem to where I had my old ADSL router, did the street cabinet work and demo'd the speed before he left using the Top Gear site. He used the old ADSL wire to pull a new link across the loft from the modem to the router.
All this in about 90 minutes. All it cost me was some coffee and friendly banter!
But, that was back in November when the pressure was easier.
Geoff,
York.
Oxslow
Grafter

Thanks, I have raised a ticket because I don't want to leave it to chance.
Just thought of a couple more questions. Will I keep my static IP and what happens to my pro add on?
NedLudd
Grafter

Can't help you there, I was new to PN!  Cheesy
Geoff,
York.
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Oxslow
Will I keep my static IP

You should do.
Quote from: Oxslow
and what happens to my pro add on?

You shouldn't need it any more.
Oxslow
Grafter

Thanks Jaggies. I have had a response from plus.net on my ticket which say the master socket has to move but they cant guarantee that it will go in the computer room but they cant see it being a problem. So if it is put in the computer room I don't need the Extension Cabling but if it is put some where else I might so do I just added it to my order anyway?
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Oxslow

I can see that you requested a data extension with your order, this means that the engineer should be able to install the data socket up to 30 metres from the master socket.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team