Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting 169.***.*** as IP address

Averagejoe
Grafter

Getting 169.***.*** as IP address

Hi,
Due to other issues I wanted a peek inside my router settings to make sure the basics were ok, everything been fine for years but XBOX ONE has been a bit picky so just wanted to have a look.
Its a TP LINK 8691, dug out my old XP machine to log in, was informed I needed to set new IP address, followed instructions for ipconfig release and then renew, only getting 169 IP address.
I will try a different cable but the lights were on both ends, how can i get back into my router settings?
Thanks
8 REPLIES 8
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Getting 169.***.*** as IP address

A 169.x.x.x IP is a DCHP failure to give an IP address to the pc, give your pc a static IP outside of the DCHP range and then try
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
Averagejoe
Grafter

Gus, thanks,
Not knowledgeable enough to understand your suggestion but I'll give it a google  Cool
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Hi,
a 196 IP address is one which is "self-assigned" by the computer when a request for a dynamic network address (DHCP) sent to the router is not responded to.  The reason for the non-response is that the PC is not properly connected to the network or there is some other (configuration ?) reason why the router will not allocate a network address.
First I would try plugging the Ethernet cable connected to the PC into different ports on the router.
You need to run a CMD prompt and use the command
ipconfig /all
That displays the current network interfaces configuration - if it says 196.x.x.x the you do not have a useful IP address - you can get the PC to try again to obtain a DHCP address by using the commands
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
if that does not work, you will have to manually configure the PC's IP address to something like 192.168.1.200 - the last two numbers will depend on the default address ranges used by your router - your router manual should tell you that.

All this said, you should be able to look at the router configuration using any device connected to the network which has a web browser.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Averagejoe
Grafter

Townman,
I have tried the basic ipconfig stuff to no avail, think I need to manually assign an IP address, can you confirm that to look at the router settings I need to connect with a cable i.e. not possible to do wireless, I have tried another laptop, my work one but that didnt connect either?  My old laptop has no trouble connecting with the correct IP address wirelessly though?Huh
Thanks
sjptd
Grafter

Some seasons for the 169.... address are
    1: the computer (by which I include Xbox, phone, etc) is not configured to use DHCP,
    2: that the router is not configured to provide DHCP addresses,
    3: that the router is configured for DHCP but not working quite right.
For (1) you need to look at the connection settings on the computer.
For (2) you need to look at the router configuration, probably using its web interface.
For (3) a reboot of the router will often sort things out.  If not, it may need a firmware upgrade; though this seems unlikely if it has been working ok in the past.
You may be able to patch 2 and 3 by configuring the computer for an appropriate static address, with matching subnet mask, gateway and dns servers.
That is quite a fiddle and I would avoid doing it except as a last resort.
Averagejoe
Grafter

Thanks sjptd,
The laptop I'm trying to use is the one I used to set up the router originally many years ago, didn't have a problem getting into the router UI then.  Haven't used this laptop to enter the router UI for approx 3 years.
Can't get to UI to investigate point 2.
Very concerned that if i do point 3 my whole internet will drop and I'll end up buying a new router to connect back up, is this a real concern?
not competent enough to tackle patching etc.
I am learning a lot though.  Cool
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Firstly, with your "old laptop", connect wirelessly and then (as per Townman) open a command window (via   start -> run and type cmd followed by <enter> key) and type
    ipconfig /all
note the gateway and dns server addresses (probably 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1) and the subnet mask (by default 255.255.255.0)
Then, with wired XP system unconnected, go to
start  -> settings -> control panel -> network connections -> local area connection
select "properties"
highlight "internet protocol" and select "properties"
select the two "automatic" radio buttons and then select "alternate configuration" tab
select "user configured" button and fill out the boxes :-
   use the addresses from the wireless connection for "default gateway", "preferred dns server" and "subnet mask"
   use the the first three numbers (192.168.x) followed by 200 as the fourth for "IP address"
Plug in the network cable - that should trigger the computer to request a DHCP provided address and use the manual address if it doesn't get one.
use
    ipconfig /all
to check for valid address settings, then type the "gateway" address in IE to access the router.
Phil
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

AverageJoe,
How are you doing with this?  Sorry I've been out of circulation for a month or so...
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.