cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gettiing Better Broadband in Remote Areas

arfa

Gettiing Better Broadband in Remote Areas

I'm not really in a remote area - actually Surrey - but we have the same problem as many truly remote locations:  miles of old copper wire connection to the nearest cabinet, so the best broadband speed we ever get is 0.8Mbps.  A local authority funded project has got FTTC to all cabinets in the area - but that's no use to us:  our problem is from the cabinet to here.  And we're in a group of just 14 properties, so neither BT Openreach nor the Council are interested in doing anything to help.
Can anyone suggest a way round this problem, that I could set up independently?  I've thought about 3G or 4G mobile connection - but our house is in a hollow, and has no mobile signal on any network.  I also wondered about setting up a microwave connection to the nearest cabinet - but I believe that would need someone to wire in some equipment inside the cabinet - and BT Openreach are very unhelpful.  Satellite seems just too pricey.
Any ideas welcome
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Gettiing Better Broadband in Remote Areas

Hi  'arfa',  and welcome to the forum   Smiley

Have you checked whether you are within the "fixed wireless" coverage area of "Kijoma Broadband" ?
as I believe that they do cover parts of Surrey.
"Fixed wireless" broadband is NOT the same as 3G, or 4G, or WiFi,  
although fixed wireless networks sometimes physically share the same towers as mobile phone operators.
Wink
arfa

Re: Gettiing Better Broadband in Remote Areas

Thanks, Nibiru - for the welcome and for the info.
I hadn't heard of this company, and their offering looks good:  but having looked at their map, we are outside the area, about 5 miles north-west of the boundary of their coverage:  and no indication of any plans to extend.  I'll keep searching!