Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Speed Question

Mayfly
All Star
Fixes: 1

General Speed Question

I volunteer for a charity that has an office with BB but it is only used part time  in fact quiet sparingly but very much needed at certain times. Despite checks telling me we could attain 6Mbs all I can get 200kbs, so with a new PC Windows up dates etc take all day to download.

I believe the problem could be down to the amount it is [not] used so the profile gets reduced. If I can talk the committee in to changing to PN is there anything PN could do to help maintain a decent speed.
4 REPLIES 4
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: General Speed Question

If I can talk the committee in to changing to PN is there anything PN could do to help maintain a decent speed.

That really depends on the nature of the problem, 200kbps is very low and sounds like the connection may have been banded, that's something that's usually sorted quite simply and quickly once the root cause has been dealt with. Have you tried raising this with your current ISP?
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Mayfly
All Star

So you don't think it's necessarily down to not being used that much?
No I haven't spoken with the ISP but will do so - thanks Adam.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

So you don't think it's necessarily down to not being used that much?

It could be if you're turning the router off when it's not in use, if that's the case then the fix should be very simple (i.e leave your router on)but don't let that be a reason not to transfer to us Wink
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Mayfly
All Star

No the router is never turned off and will do my best to get them to change both telephone and BB to you.