Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming site thinks I'm in the USA

psyman
Dabbler

Gaming site thinks I'm in the USA

Hi
For some reason some gaming sites think I am in the USA and won't let me proceed onto the site.  I spoke to their customer support who says Plusnet is at fault.
Can anyone help?
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Gaming site thinks I'm in the USA

Are you using any DNS redirection services that allow you to watch American Netflix in the UK ?
grahameys
Dabbler

Think plusnet are having issues with some of their IP address. I was having problems with Sky go last night saying it wasn't available in my country. I looked in google and a few people said they were adked to reboot their router by plusnet. I logged on reconnected the adsl and I got anewip addresses and no more problems with Sky go
All4One
Grafter

Sometimes as well, 1 reboot might not fix it due to the range. If still plays up, try another reboot etc.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

@DCT,
What is being done to get the RIPE records for this pool of IP addresses sorted please?  This is not normally a difficult or protracted task, so I guess there must be a complex complication?
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Probably complicated by all of 146.*.*.* originally being administered by ARIN not RIPE, and a lookup for a 146.200.*.* address still returns records from ARIN.
tstaddon
Rising Star

Hi
We've never done any proxies etc, but at the weekend the Samsung Smart Hub (on our telly) decided we're on an American network - the postcode field on the TV setup is now autodetecting to five digits in the location preferences, and the UK apps like iPlayer are not even visible in the app store.
This is from an official response from Samsung:
If at the postcode input only numbers are available, or if your TV still displays US apps, please contact your internet service provider (eg; BT, Sky, Virgin, etc) for further assistance. as we believe this issue to be caused by some customers' IP addresses being routed through the US causing the TV to erroneously believe it is connected to a US server.

We also noticed that every now and again, Netflix just bombs out on the TV - this is apparently because the region the TV is detecting from the network is not the same as the region of the app install.
So +1 from me; this needs fixing.
kenneth50
Grafter

Its sounds like your ip is in the 146.200.x.x range to me. I have the same ip range with the same issue. Simply disconnect and reconnect and hopefully it will put you to a correct IP range for the UK.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

@Townman - Most site should now work fine. There are a few outstanding services/sites, we're in contact with those affected and working with them to get this fixed.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Chris,
The ARIN records still do not have PN as the owning organisation / location...
Organization
Name INFONET Services Corporation
Handle INFO
Street 2160 East Grand Avenue

City El Segundo
State/Province CA
Postal Code 90245-1022
Country US
Registration Date  
Last Updated 2011-11-30
Comments  
RESTful Link http://whois.arin.net/rest/org/INFO

See - http://whois.arin.net/rest/net/NET-146-200-0-0-1/pft
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

As far as we're aware the RIPE records were up to date....I'll flag this up!
Update:
I've just spoken to one of the guys dealing with this and unfortunately the RIPE information will remain as INFONET. this is due to a records issue between ARIN and RIPE. Our Networks Team will be raising this concern, but I wouldn't expect this to change in the near future.
This won't have any effect on how the IP's are used, we're in contact with the last few companies to get their databases up to date to ensure the affected IP ranges work without any issues.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Chris,
Thank you for following this through.  RIPE imply that they are not managing this IP range...
inetnum:        146.195.0.0 - 146.209.255.255
netname:        NON-RIPE-NCC-MANAGED-ADDRESS-BLOCK
descr:          IPv4 address block not managed by the RIPE NCC
remarks:        ------------------------------------------------------
remarks:       
remarks:        Networks in this range are not in use in
remarks:        the RIPE NCC service region.

See - https://apps.db.ripe.net/search/query.html?searchtext=146.200.1.1&searchSubmit=search#resultsAnchor

Kevin

AndyH
Grafter

It's under the ARIN management (146/8 comes under their allocation) - http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv4-address-space/ipv4-address-space.xhtml
I assume the range cannot be transferred to RIPE.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

The IP addresses within the range will still work..
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

One of the other Plusnet 146 blocks (146.90) redirects the query to whois.ripe.net, but not the 146.200 block.
[tt]$ whois 146.90.141.67
[Querying whois.arin.net]
[Redirected to whois.ripe.net:43]
[Querying whois.ripe.net]
[whois.ripe.net]
...[/tt]