cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming problems, is it down to my Internet or is it down to the 2704n router

alexemmaburns
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Gaming problems, is it down to my Internet or is it down to the 2704n router

I have a lot of problems where my speed drops to a crawl i think when this happens it does affect my gaming gaving the internet go so slow that it doesnt support gaming but from now on i will shut it down in the router rather that switch router ofg..
I don't know much about port forwarding but I do know when the right ports are forwarded it helps with connection very much, the difference between having a strict and open NAT.  But the fact I have all the relevant ports forwarded but still have latency/lag issues is where I get confused and start to think it's my connection or router that's the issue 🙂 I only just noticed in dark fires post that the TCP and UDP need to be set on those ports so I will get on and do that in a minute.
I found it easier being on a tab to screen shot the page in that link in your sig as my tabs copy and paste function is a nightmare lol.  I haven't heard anything from plusnet staff on whether interleaving is off yet but like you I assume it will be off by now.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Gaming problems, is it down to my Internet or is it down to the 2704n router

What's the Data Sent/Received - line 12 of the Helpdesk page showing as at the moment?
Interleaving seems to be off as the Interleaver depth is showing as 1.
Had you recently reset anything before grabbing the stats?
I'd forgotten you're on a Tablet and copy/paste being a bit of a mare if it's anything like a mobile Roll_eyes
alexemmaburns
Rising Star

No never reset anything it's been on since last night.
12 - Data sent/received:39.0M/458.7M
Yeah its bad on my Samsung tab for copy and paste, just as bad as mobile if not worse although it's much easier to copy and paste on my wife's Google nexus  it's much easier to screenshot lol Shocked
Anotherone
Champion

I'll bear that in mind if/when I think about buying a Tablet  Wink
The Sent/Received looks more sensible.
What's the Uptime on the Helpdesk page now. I'm just trying to see when the PP last dropped which might be due to Network maintenance or at the same time as sync dropped which would happen when the Interleaving order was automatically actioned - usually early hours - all those. Have a look at the Uptime and Showtime on the expert_user Device Info page as well.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I've been keeping my eye on this thread but haven't been able to test the line today until now. Interleaving is off, there have been very little changes to the stats since my previous post.
It sounds like it's the random slowdowns that may be the cause of the issue you're seeing. I can see Anotherone is helping with that at the moment. It may be worth just noting down the times/dates the slowdowns happen to see if there's a correlation.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Anotherone
Champion

And which Gateway you are on just in case there's a correlation there, but then it may be routing as well Wink
I take it there's no congestion (SVLAN) at his exchange Chris?
alexemmaburns
Rising Star

I never reset router at this time.  I will try disconnecting the way you said from now on though.
In the router stats there is a bit that says hec Errors, lcd errors and ocd errors? should they be showing errors?
6- Uptime:0 days 07:58:37
In expert,  Uptime - 8hr 5m 38s   showtime - 29117.
Hi Chris thanks for keeping an eye, I only actually notice the ultra slow speeds when it comes to playing on my xbox so it makes it difficult to keep a record although this happens every night it can happen 2 or 3 times, i notice as when I am in a game of CoD it will disconnect me from the servers I do a speed test and that's when I notice that I can be down as low as just over 1mb dl speed.
alexemmaburns
Rising Star

You are currently connected to gateway pcl-ag08.
This is located in City Lifeline House
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Quote from: Anotherone
I take it there's no congestion (SVLAN) at his exchange Chris?

None of the VPs are showing congestion on the report I've got here at that exchange.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Anotherone
Champion

Thanks Chris.
Anotherone
Champion

You'll always get a few of those errors. The main ones to keep an eye on are the ES and Superframe Errors as well as the HECs. None of them seem out of the way for a non-interleaved line considering the Uptimes you've posted.
Check those 3 before you start Gaming (write them down) and if you get a slowdown check them again and make a note.
Check your Gateway before and after you hop and again keep a note in case there's any pattern.
Those uptimes suggest the 2704n was off and switched on just before 0730 today (or rebooted) does that fit in with anything?
Do you ever know the IP address of the server that's hosting the game?
alexemmaburns
Rising Star

No the router definitely wasn't off or switched off and on before 7.30 this morning, we were up and sorting the kids out for school so I am unsure why it's disconnected at that time?
No problem I shall do that.
No unfortunately there is no way of knowing the hosts ip address on xbox one it usually picks someone in the lobby that has the best connection
Anotherone
Champion

Do you tend to suffer any power dips where you are? I'm wondering if you're suffering some electrical interference of some sort if you don't normally have any power dips, that can sometimes be tricky to track down. Eliminating anything in the house is usually the first option, but let's do a check on the phone line wiring etc first. We never got to the bottom of all that at the start of the thread.
You said you don't have a test socket so is your Main Socket similar to the one in the middle - an LJU type?
Do you have any extension phone sockets - hard wired or plug in, and what is normally plugged in where? Do you use any extension leads between the phone socket and filter or filter and modem/router?
Also if/when the speed seems to drop, grab a copy of the stats on the Helpdesk page as well as looking at those errors I mentioned previously.
alexemmaburns
Rising Star

Yeah its the LJU one, it has another one at the side of it I have taken a picture of them both and attached.  Both of the sockets were here when we moved in. 
We have no telephone extension sockets in the house only the main one pictured.  We have the house phone and router both plugged directly into the LJU into a microfilter.
Ok I shall grab a copy of those stats when the connection drops.
Anotherone
Champion

Aha, that is an NTE5a it's got the join across the middle. It's just an older version with the old BT Piper emblem instead of Openreach. The one next to it must be quite an old cable one.
If you were to undo the two screws (don't do it at the moment) the lower front plate would come off and the test socket would be behind - actually you could do that on the Cable socket as it's a similar type, so you can see what it's like.
If there's definitely no other phone sockets in the house, then we don't have extension wiring to consider.
Are you able to see the BT incoming cable anywhere, either where it comes to go to the socket or outside where it enters the building?