cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming problems, is it down to my Internet or is it down to the 2704n router

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: Gaming problems, is it down to my Internet or is it down to the 2704n router

Although the slider on the data usage graph can be moved to change the time period the data usage figure is for, I don't think it can be accurate enough to get hourly usage figures, and it doesn't differentiate between uploads and downloads.

Perhaps you could record (or take a screenshot of) the data usage stats on the phone before attempting to do some gaming, then you could check and compare it when you have problems with lag during the gaming. It's to check if the phone or tablet is unexpectedly accessing the Internet.

The phone itself may result in worse and more variable ping results than you'd get doing the ping tests on a computer - but the difference should only be a few ms.

Despite the other issues, I think the mostly likely cause of the ping times up at 2000ms is something doing some uploading.

alexemmaburns
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Gaming problems, is it down to my Internet or is it down to the 2704n router

Ahh right unfortunately no it doesn't show separate upload and download on the Google Nexus not that I can see?

I don't understand packet loss what it means but I have had it a few times when having these issues.  I apologise I was getting stressed out and completely forgot to check the gateway i was on, but I will in future I am going through this post shortly to write down everything I need to do for when this happens again.

There is most definitely a chance that it is congestion causing my issues being as most people around here work and are only around evening and weekends.  

Can I ask how to gateway hop? Is it a case of just disconnecting the ppp connection?

alexemmaburns
Rising Star

@ejs yeah the graph is pretty naff on data usage but I shall give that a , I have been mostly disconnecting everything apart from the Xbox one lately when gaming, but the lag has still been present, so still confused with the 200mb upload i doubt vety much that my xbox would have caused tgat, I just wonder how well adsl can really cope with multiplayer gaming on next gen console's Although I do not remember having these issues with talk talk, occasional lag which is to be expected but apart from that never as bad issues as I have now.

Edit: changed plusnet to talk talk

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I think in your last post you meant "having these issues with your previous provider" as you mentioned somewhat earlier in the thread.
Also again, based on what I advised much earlier in the thread, you've mentioned on more than one other occasion, that everything else has been switched off and you've still seen the lag issues.

I had a complete re-read of the thread last afternoon, to make sure we hadn't overlooked anything and to recap on various points. So first a bit of a recap -

• Occasional No Dial Tone on phone, sometimes with, and sometimes without a drop in Broadband.
  • Occasional not receiving incoming calls.
  • Sync Speed slower than previous provider (even with 6dB Target SNRM)
  • Severe lag issues not seen with previous provider
  • Occasional drops in Broadband - Quiet Line Test done (so phone working) and no audible crackling noise etc
  • Audio sounds a bit distorted/fuzzy on phone calls (2 different phones?)
  • Master socket only, no extensions. Filter changed.
  • Several engineer checks on line finding no faults to date
  • Significant US Errored seconds, poor MTBE (Plusnet tests)
  • No checks done at Exchange (or Cab - that have been mentioned according to reports)
  • Severe lag issues seen when all other devices are off, Xbox only connected by ethernet.
  • Severe lag issues tending to occur primarily at evening peak times.
  • Significant drops in Speedtest speed results when severe lag seen.

Now if I've missed anything or got anything listed incorrectly please advise.
I recall you saying you got another corded phone, so you had the fuzziness on both phones?

Yes, Gateway hopping is done by dropping the PPP. The best thing to do for the various checks to make when you see the severe lag if I first refer you back to message 65 and a couple of subsequent posts. So I'd do the following when playing -

• Note the Gateway you are on before starting, and Time of day.
  • Switch all other devices (Tablets, smart phones - wifi at least) off
  • When you have severe lag, check Xbox stats & copy
  • Check all devices listed are known and not active except device you are using to log in
  • Run ping test ensuring nothing else active/uploading etc.
  • If ping bad, run the BTw Speedtest Diagnostic*
  • Gateway hop, note new Gateway
  • Check Ping, if still bad, hop again and note new Gateway
  • If ping ok, turn off checking device (tablet?)
  • Check Xbox stats
  • Start Gaming if all looks ok.

I'd hope with the above we might establish some pattern or eliminate some potential possibilities.
There's a couple of things that occur to me that haven't been mentioned previously -
If your new TV is a smart TV, make sure it's not connected or using the connection.
Make sure that Tethering is not turned on whether it be Wifi of Bluetooth on the Tablets (or any device) so that when you have them on, nothing can piggy-back and maybe cause unexplained uploads.
I don't have an Xbox, so I have no idea, but I'll ask/comment anyway, make sure the Xbox has no Tethering possibility turned on (either Wifi or Bluetooth).

I'll post this lot before it all gets lost! Hope it helps.
*Once you have a nice bad BTw Diagnostic Speedtest result, don't run the test again - the result will stay on the BT servers and is visible to Plusnet.

Anotherone
Champion

Oh, forgot a quick clarification on the congestion possibility. This isn't necessarily local (ie. exchange - Chris did say a report he looked at showed no hot VPs, but BTw's own monitoring has been shown in the past to be rather lacking!). Any congestion could be anywhere from the exchange, through the BT Backhaul, Plusnet Network, and onwards to destination server/host (including issues at the host itself).

ejs
Aspiring Hero

I didn't think the US Errored Seconds and MTBE were that bad, especially considering interleaving was switched off. The ILQ of Amber is really an adequate, passable, neither good nor bad rating, operating within expectations. I also don't think line errors could possibly explain such high ping times (this discussion may have been had before, but when there are line errors, they are focussed on as something to be fixed, regardless of whether they are the cause of the original problem).

Anotherone
Champion

An MTBE of 62 on the US is attrocious. And just to be clear I didn't say that they were the cause of the high ping times. Quite obviously the presence of errors at that level indicate something is indeed wrong and needs fixing, and the point being that in light of all the other things in the list, the finger at present points towards an fault at the exchange.

ejs
Aspiring Hero

I'm a bit worried that if a lot of time and effort is spent chasing after line errors, it could be frustrating to discover if or when it gets fixed, that it doesn't solve the gaming issues. A bit like how switching interleaving off doesn't seem to have made an improvement.

The upstream could be a little worse than others because this exchange has the older and slightly worse kind of 21CN ADSL2+ equipment, there wouldn't be much that could be done about this, unless this exchange also has some newer equipment they could be shifted on to. Unfortunately the stats from the 2704N don't show the equipment vendor.

Anotherone
Champion

Well worry not ejs, see what else you can pick holes in. Why not just write to Plusnet and tell them you think there is nothing wrong with Alex's connection and it's all in his imagination.

ejs
Aspiring Hero

Also, I've experienced the situation where my phone was not working yet the broadband was completely fine. Probably caused by my line not being properly connected to the telephony equipment in the exchange, whilst being properly connected  to the ADSL equipment.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Moderators Note.

gents: enough.

everyone is entitled to their opinion and the snarky replies from all parties isn't helping the OP.
keep it on topic and polite. thanks.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
alexemmaburns
Rising Star

Hi @Anotherone, sorry for not replying sooner it's been a hectic day again read it earlier but only quick glanced.  Ah yes you are right I did meanmy previous provider I have changed that, I was getting tired when I wrote that.  

That is also correct i have been disconnecting everything from the wifi apart from xbox and i still get the lag issues. And that pretty much sums up everything that is going on with my line, you have read correctly, I can't see anything wrong with what you posted there at all.  

Yes the fuzziness has been on 2 different corded phones,  I heard crackling when I was having the issues the other night, when I was on the phone to customer services I could hear crackling during the phone call and the operators voice kept sounding almost robotic, if that makes sense?  When my broadband stabilised again the crackling and roboticvoice disappeared, I did relay this to the TL as I had to ask him to repeat himself on a couple of occasions.  

That's brilliant thankyou for listing that I won't be on Xbox next couple of days but I will start doing that from Thursday evening possibly Friday.  I do have a smart TV but don't use the internet at all on it as with our old TV it was more hassle than it was worth.

With the Xbox it doesn't have any tethering, the only time it  downloads/uploads is if I have an update for the game and or console, apart from that it should only be using download/upload while I'm in a multiplayer game.  

I shall keep you updated when I have done what you have suggested.

Anotherone
Champion

No problem. Let us know when and what response you get to your ticket.

Anotherone
Champion

Any news?

alexemmaburns
Rising Star

Is a moderator deleting my posts? I posted yesterday a long post, it said it was awaiting moderation or approved (words to that effect) when it didn't post I posted it a second time and once again the post isn't here so I am a bit confused?