cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming Issues - Latency/Ping

Maleko

Gaming Issues - Latency/Ping

Hi all,
Just wondering if anyone has any advice for me regarding the following situation.
I've had Plusnet for a few months now and with the release of Black Ops 3 and other games I've started to get back into online gaming. However I've been plagued by latency issues so I'm not having the best of times.
This is what I've tried - I've set my PS4 up on wired and wireless. I've done port forwarding for the relevant ports - I've even tried putting the PS4 into the DMZ of my router but all to no avail.
From various pingtest sites on the PS4 and PC when tested are in the region of averaging 140ms which I know isn't terrible but for a game like COD I could really do with it being lower. I was on Virgin Fibre in the past and got on much better with the sub 50ms pings I had then.
I really like Plusnet but I'm afraid if this is the correct average for ADSL I'll have to look for a new provider early next year.
Hope someone can offer some insight. Thanks
2 REPLIES 2
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: Gaming Issues - Latency/Ping

Hey Maleko,
Welcome to the Forums.
Are you using the Plusnet supplied router?
Can you also run the BT Speedtester (http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/) and post back your results here?
P.S - ensure you complete both speed tests, that includes 'Further diagnostics'
Maleko

Re: Gaming Issues - Latency/Ping

Thanks for the reply Chris.
Apologies for the delay, wanted to make sure the house was empty, all devices turned off and to try the tests in the morning and afternoon. As a bit of background I ran the test 5-6 times consecutively in the morning and evening (I could only run the 'further diagnostics' test twice due to it requiring 10mins between tests)
The downloads and uploads speed was pretty consistent throughout with both the evening and morning tests showing around 16 down and 0.70 up with little variance. The ping result was slightly more erratic, with a ping as low as 38 and a high of about 84. The majority of the pings fell between 45 - 60. Is that normal and expected? The further diagnostics test all showed a line without problems.
I've turned on the ping counter in Black Ops 3 (and whilst I understand this is the ping to the server / or the host of the game) it seems very erratic jumping from 50ms to 200ms and anywhere in between constantly in a single game whilst connected to 1 host/server - would this explain the poor performance of the game?
Would you say in all honesty that my current internet is capable of offering a good performance or should I be looking at fibre?
Just as a final insight, I've had a couple of friends over who both have the game (and doing well) and both struggled immensely. It's quite frustrating!  Huh