cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Game & Application Sharing not remembering assignment for MS Remote Desktop

cmr777

Game & Application Sharing not remembering assignment for MS Remote Desktop

Hello to everyone! This is my first post to the Plusnet forum.
I have a static IP address and a Technicolor TG582n router (supplied by Plusnet). I often need to access my home PC from another location and use Remote Desktop for this. However, there's a problem. In the admin panel on the router, I've gone to Toolbox->Game & Application Sharing and assigned Microsoft Remote Desktop to my computer name. This works fine, but once a day the router resets itself (all lights go off, then power light comes on, takes 3-5 minutes before composing itself). After resetting itself, the above assignment changes to a seemingly random device or IP.
I've attached two screenshots. "Router admin 1" is the working setting. "Router admin 2" is the broken setting, after the router has reset itself.
I've tried "Use UPnP" both ticked and unticked.
Can anyone help me please? Sometimes I am away from home for a few days and after the router has done a reset I cannot access my home PC until I come back. This is very frustrating!
Warm regards,

Christian Riley
3 REPLIES 3
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Game & Application Sharing not remembering assignment for MS Remote Desktop

accidental duplicate posts removed
cmr777

Apologies, I thought it wasn't posting as I have been getting timeouts in my browser.
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

Hi,
Have you considered using Teamviewer rather that Remote Desktop, this should remove the need of a deciated hostname/IP Address for the device you want to connect to.
Does the PC you are remoting to have a static IP, it could be everytime the router restarts the PC gets allocated a new IP Address by DHCP.
Dan.