cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G.inp active on my line?

mw0dcm

G.inp active on my line?

Hi all,

This is just a query, I'm trying to find out how do I know if or when G.INP is active on my line/cabinet?

Also, I've suffered for 2+ years, even before coming over to Plusnet with constant drop outs, speeds dropping.... and I've had numerous engineers out, and at least 2 have said the issue is a very long stretch of "aluminium" not copper that's degrading and causing my issues and others in the street, but no one seems to want to fix it.

Being out in Rural Rhondda Valleys, not knowing when FTTP will be here in this village/town, I'm stuck as we only have an OR line no other providers in the area.

Anyway, if someone can help with either of these I'd be an happy Englishman in RCT 😁

Dave

10 REPLIES 10
Baldrick1
Fixes: 420

Re: G.inp active on my line?

@mw0dcm Welcome to the Plusnet Community Fora.

Hopefully some-one more knowledgable can help winth G-INP. I remember looking at mine many years ago and remember I needed to access the modem section of the hub using telnet. This depends on the hub that you have, it is not accessible if you are using a Plusnet Hub 2. At the time I was using an unlocked Huawei stand alone modem.

Regardless, back in about the 1970s (I think) there was a copper shortage and BT used aluminium cored cable, which was fine for telephone connections. With age/oxidation this is a nightmare on broadband circuits. I suspect that there is very little chance of this being replaced with copper now that fibre is the preferred medium. Your best bet is to campaign for a full fibre service.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

@mw0dcm 

As Baldrick1 says the full modem stats need to be available to check the lines G.INP status.

I am not sure if the PN Hub1 or the Hub2 provide the relevant details.

Could you post the stats?

Openreach deployed two makes of FTTC cabinet and hardware, Huawei and ECI.

Huawei cabs have supported G.INP for several years and ECI cabinets now also support G.INP

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2024/02/openreach-deploy-g-inp-to-boost-uk-eci-fttc-broadband-... 

Regards

Richard

Anonymous
Not applicable

On my DrayTek Vigor 130 modem,  "G.INP" active is indicated by the parameter "ReTxEnable" being set to "1"

I'm connected to a Huawei cabinet (Broadcom chipset), and my modem stats show -

Vigor 130 G-Inp status.png

Therefore my connection does have G.INP Vectoring (G.998.4) active.

RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

@Anonymous

For clarity, vectoring is not G.INP

https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/guides/kb-what-is-vdsl-vectoring-sra-and-ginp

Openreach have not widely deployed vectoring as it requires additional hardware in the Cabinet and some VDSL modems are not compatible.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, I've learnt something new today 👍

mw0dcm

@RichardB Which stats do you need Technical Log page? or something else?

I'm currently running the supplied Hub 2, not the best of routers I know from experience especially being an ex BT BB Customer. I don't run Windows or Mac, so if it's SSH into the router to get extra info, not sure what command I have to run if any?

Cheers in advance....

Dave

Stoker
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I've attached what DSLSTATS reports under G.INP for my Billion router. I'm on 80/20 FTTC.

(I'm not sure if DSLSTATS is still available as dslstats.me.uk seems to be dead and the domain name expired last week)

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Stoker  to interpret your Billion's stats, take a look at this https://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/g.inp 

and then find the headline "How to tell G.INP is operational on your line",  below that describes what to look for on a Billion router.

mw0dcm

From what I've seen now, and noticed that my stats used to show a massive margin between sync and data rate, now there's only around 1mbps difference and instead of 34mbps I'm hitting dead on 40!

I'm hoping OR get to this part of Rural Wales within the next 12 months and upgrade to FTTP, I know they've already been to 2 villages and towns near here in the Rhondda Valleys!

Dave

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mw0dcm wrote:

I'm hoping OR get to this part of Rural Wales within the next 12 months and upgrade to FTTP

@mw0dcm 

Have you checked recently the Openreach Ultrafast build plan map ?

Scroll down to the map, and put your postcode in the box at the top left corner.

Then once the map shows your local area, click on a nearby exchange area to reveal the colours corresponding to build dates.

Within the last week or two the map has been updated, and for me the surrounding exchange area builds have been bought forward about two years - but I'm still showing as being on an isolated exchange that's not in the build plans.