Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G-Fast and standard fibre???

Routefinder
Grafter

G-Fast and standard fibre???

Not sure where to post about this?
I read a short item that BT are testing a new 'system' that will use the current infrastructure (fibre and last leg copper to the house???) to get up to 800mbps download (I cannot recall what was said about upload but it was fast!).
So do any of the PN guys 'n gals know anything about this and are there any plans for its testing and eventual rollout with PN.
A simple surmise is that if G-Fast goes mainstream 'standard' fibre costs will drop to ADSL levels.........I wish Smiley
8 REPLIES 8
PLan
Grafter

Re: G-Fast and standard fibre???

News article over at ISPreview - http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2014/09/bt-boast-1000mbps-g-fast-fttdp-broadband-technology-pot...
Personally I don't see BT rushing to roll out G.fast(of their own accord) after they've just spent a few pounds on VDSL.
AndyH
Grafter

This is years away from being implemented.
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

isn't the next upgrade where they'll run fibre to the pole, so the copper length gets shorter again?
i'm sure i read that somewhere in the past couple of days.
petecov44
Grafter

Quote from: PLan
after they've just spent a few pounds on VDSL.

Well it was taxpayers and BDUK's money so not sure why they would use that - they spent very little.
and it would be again no doubt. Still when Farage is in power and all the refugees have been kicked out we might have the money to do it.
AndyH
Grafter

FTTdp is where you shorten the end copper distance by using a fibre fed micronodes - g.fast is a technology that allows you to transmit data at far superior speeds over copper.
The two are different technologies, but would work well together. It's going to be a cost issue though as the difference between FTTH and FTTdp is marginal.
petecov44
Grafter

If I look at it on the system I have you are right.
PLan
Grafter

Quote from: petecov44
Well it was taxpayers and BDUK's money so not sure why they would use that - they spent very little.

Wasn't BT's investment around £2.5 billion?
petecov44
Grafter

Was it? Sorry I thought it was less. I am sure  even that is pocket change to BT