cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Further Diagnostics Unavailable (BTW Broadband Performance Test)?

highlandmoose
Dabbler

Further Diagnostics Unavailable (BTW Broadband Performance Test)?

For the past year or so, when I do a BT Wholesale Broadband Performance Test and click on Further Diagnostics I only get the results of the Best Effort Test Download Speed and the following message:
"Your speed test has completed and the results are shown above, however during the test an error occurred while trying to retrieve additional details regarding your service. As a result we are unable to determine if the speed you received during the test is acceptable for your service. Please re-run the test if you require this additional information."
I used to be able to see my IP Profile and other information, but this hasn't be available for a long time. Does anyone know how to fix this issue? My IP Profile is lowered quite often so this is a mighty handy feature that I'd really like access to. Please see attached screenshot for more info.
Thanks kindly for your help.
13 REPLIES 13
cedlor
Grafter

Re: Further Diagnostics Unavailable (BTW Broadband Performance Test)?

Welcome to the forum.
This has been asked many times but I cant see a definitive answer anywhere.
On the FAQ it says
Q4. What are the pre-requisites for using the BTWholesale Performance Tester?
A4. Before you can use the BTWholesale Performance Tester, please ensure:
1. Your broadband is supplied to your broadband Service Provider by BTWholesale.
2. Your broadband modem or router must be ‘in sync’ This means that the indicator light on your modem or router (this is the box that connects your device to your broadband enabled line) is lit steadily (i.e. not blinking) and that you can browse to website (i.e. www.google.co.uk)
3. Your device must have Adobe Flash Player installed and it is recommended that you use the latest version of the Flash player. You can check for the latest version at: http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/
4. Your computer is connected to the broadband line to be tested. The BTWholesale Performance Tester may not work on iPads/Tablets, smartphones or other mobile devices.
5. Your computer is directly connected to your modem/router via an Ethernet connection (i.e. not via wireless or power-line adapters).
6. Any wireless adapter in your computer is switched off.
7. Close any other programs that may be running on your computer. This includes any background programs such as a corporate VPN or peer2peer clients etc.
8. Reboot your modem/router by powering it off, waiting one minute, and then powering it up again. Wait for any lights on the router to stabilise before starting the test.
9. Restart your browser.
10. Ensure no other people or devices (e.g. broadband-connected TV set-top boxes) are using the broadband line to be tested.
We normally just ignore the red writing and tick the yes box BUT if it never works then maybe look closely at those in red above.
IF you have the time perhaps work through one at a time - perhaps you will solve it for others.
First I would try is make sure browser, Flash and Java are up to date. Try a different browser?
aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

The Further Diagnostics bit has never worked for me since we moved to Plusnet.
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

It used to work for me until I upgraded to fibre, then it stopped.  I also had problems after the upgrade with using BTs 17070 until they made some changes to my PN account.  But since last year further testing just doesn't work, no matter the browser and if I have updated flash/Java
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

highlandmoose
Dabbler

Thanks for all your replies, I sure appreciate it.
This has been asked many times but I cant see a definitive answer anywhere

@cedlor - It's the lack of a definitive answer that has me asking.
Let me run through those steps you suggested:

• 1. Yes, my broadband is supplied by BT Wholesale.

• 2. Yes, my router is in sync - the green light is steady.

• 3. Yes, I have Adobe Flash Player installed. This is required to run the first part of the BT Wholesale Broadband Performance Test, so I don't see how this has any bearing on the Further Diagnostics issue.

• 4. Yes, connected to the broadband line I want to test. Again, this is required to run the first part of the BT Wholesale Broadband Performance Test, so I don't see how this has any bearing on the Further Diagnostics issue.

• 5. Yes, connected via network cable to the router.

• 6. Yes, have turned WIFI off.

• 7. Yes, all other programs are closed.

• 8. Yes, the router has been rebooted.

• 9. Yes, the browser has been restarted.

• 10. Yes, my computer is the only device connected - WIFI is turned off on the router and no other devices are connected via network cable.

And yes, my browser, Flash and Java are up to date. I've also tried different browsers, Chrome, Safari and IE.
In addition:

• I'm connected to the test socket. I've also tried being connected to the regular socket.

• I'm using a micro-filter. I've tried 3 different micro-filters.

• I've tried different computers. I've even tried different operating systems: OSX Yosemite, Windows 8 and Windows 10.

• I've tried different network cables and ensured they are working. Although if they hadn't been working I wouldn't have managed to get to the BT Wholesale Broadband Performance Test website.

• I've tried different routers. Thomson TG585 v8 and Technicolor TG582n.

• I've tried crossing my fingers.

The Further Diagnostics bit has never worked for me since we moved to Plusnet

@aesmith - Have you been given an explanation as to why? I was able access Further Diagnostics while a Plusnet customer, so I don't think that matters and it's clear that other Plusnet customers have access to Further Diagnostics, so there must be another reason.
It used to work for me until I upgraded to fibre, then it stopped.  I also had problems after the upgrade with using BTs 17070 until they made some changes to my PN account.  But since last year further testing just doesn't work, no matter the browser and if I have updated flash/Java

@Gus - This is interesting, did you upgrade to fibre as soon as it was available in your area? I'm asking as perhaps this could be linked to work carried out at the exchange which has meant that Further Diagnostics is unavailable. I'm not sure if anything was done at my exchange when it became unavailable, but this might be worth looking into. Fibre has recently been installed at my exchange, I'm unable to get it being 6.7km away, but I have had received a drop in line speed since the install which I'm still trying to have corrected. This has no bearing on my ability to access Further Diagnostics, however, as I've been unable to access it for some time, at least a year.
Recommendation "5" impossible for those of us with laptops with no network port

@Gel - It's not exactly impossible, you could purchase a network adaptor for your laptop to carry out the test, it is however, not free.
Anyone else got any suggestions? Plusnet folks, care to shed some light on this?
Thanks again. 
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

If you don't have flash installed and enabled, you won't be able to run the first part of the BTWholesale speedtest. If you get past that, your computer set up is fine, and the problem with the further diagnostics not working must be server side, only Plusnet and BTWholesale will be able to fix it for you.
Many of those pre-requisites are to make sure the result of the speedtest isn't slow due to wireless, power line networking or all sorts of other things besides the performance of your broadband connection.
highlandmoose
Dabbler

@ejs Yes indeed, I completely agree. Any suggestions as to how to get Plusnet or BT Wholesale to look into this? I know we can't contact BT Wholesale as end users and Plusnet haven't seemed to be bothered when I've mentioned it on the phone.
mav:quote
MikeBz
Rising Star

Same here, it's never worked for me.  The first bit works fine,  but the Further Diagnostics sends the results to the server and then reports "Your speed test has completed and the results are shown above, however during the test an error occurred while trying to retrieve additional details regarding your service. As a result we are unable to determine if the speed you received during the test is acceptable for your service. Please re-run the test if you require this additional information."  Huh
Quote from: aesmith
The Further Diagnostics bit has never worked for me since we moved to Plusnet.
cedlor
Grafter

It does not seem to be a Plusnet only problem, it crops up on on other ISP boards. I have not looked on Kitz or tbb yet.
I dont recall ever having a problem and often its months before I do upgrades to firefox flash or java. I use various PCs
and laptops so expect I will have used win7-32  win7-64  and winXP Firefox and opera also wifi and ethernet.
I am on adsl but trying fibre next week so will update then. I also have a ticket running at plusnet so will ask next time
I go back. Another plan might be if EVERYONE who sees this thread and has the problem goes on the chatline and asks
why it doesn work and report back. I am sure they must log what the chats relate to so a sudden spate regarding the same thing
might trigger something.
JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

Quote from: MikeBz
Same here, it's never worked for me.  The first bit works fine,  but the Further Diagnostics sends the results to the server and then reports "Your speed test has completed and the results are shown above, however during the test an error occurred while trying to retrieve additional details regarding your service. As a result we are unable to determine if the speed you received during the test is acceptable for your service. Please re-run the test if you require this additional information." 

Ran further diagnostics (ADSL2+ connection) today - first time (after a long wait) I got the above message, second time it worked OK.
Can't remember a time when it was anything other than flaky.  Roll_eyes
highlandmoose
Dabbler

Quote from: cedlor
Another plan might be if EVERYONE who sees this thread and has the problem goes on the chatline and asks
why it doesn work and report back

I asked while attempting to correct my IP Profile and was told "I think there is a limit to how many times you can run Further Diagnostics within a set time" and then when I explained that it had been a year or so since it last worked he said "Oh right, that is odd". He suggested raising a fault, but since I've already got one open, I'll just wait until my speed issue is resolved and then ask about the Further Diagnostics issue.
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

One of the forum monitor techs who are usually better trained will eventually see this thread and take action.  Sad to say that support wait tmes is better on the forum than phoning them
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
cedlor
Grafter

Quote from: Gus
  Sad to say that support wait times is better on the forum than phoning them

When I said chat I mean the online typing "chat"  I have used them twice and got an agent fairly quickly.