cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fttc authentication failure

Paulobrien41

Fttc authentication failure

Had fttc installed on 14th may had had no connection. Authentication failure or concentrator unreachable all the time, contacted support every day and had 3x OR engineers out and still nothing. Been escalated to 2nd line support in BT wholesale now. Nobody seems to have an answer engineer done lift and shift as well. Also tried 3 different OR modems and 2 routers...... Really annoying
15 REPLIES 15
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Re: Fttc authentication failure

There used to be a BT 'test' ID, bt_test@startup_domain with any password, which worked with ADSL which would at least bring up a BT diagnostics home page.  I don't know if the same ID would work with FTTC connection and with the Plusnet router.
If you have a Windows PC, you could connect it direct to the OR modem in lieu of the router.
http://community.plus.net/library/broadband/fibre-help-how-to-set-up-a-pppoe-dialler-in-vistawindows...
ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
Paulobrien41

Unfortunatley already tried all the BT test logins and my own brand new netgear router, was meant to recieve an update Saturday afternoon again but nothing so onto support again today we go.....
bill888
Champion

fwiw, I just tried bt_test@startup_domain on my plusnet TG582N fibre router.  It saved the name, but failed to establish a connection.
This test ID does successfully connect using my fibre router and my router gets an IP address beginning 172.
bt_test_user@startup_domain
but I can't bring up the test page   www.bt.net/digitaldemo   which used to work with bt_test@startup_domain when I last used it on ADSL a long time ago.
Paulobrien41

Yeah that's the logins I tried with the same results, OR seem baffled by it to have 3 x engineers out and no fix, I am the only connection on the new green box but OR have said they can see 80/20 coming into my house when he plugged-in his tester
bill888
Champion

So all the BT test IDs failed to connect, and so your router did not get an IP address.
I think the engineers have only verified the physical connection to the cabinet is ok.  The issue seems to be more logical (software/configuration) than hardware, unless someone forgot to connect the new cabinet back to the exchange...
Paulobrien41

Just get dslam error when using the logins, engineer seemed to think that it maybe some sort of issue at the back end of BT, it was escalated to BT wholesale 2nd line support, think the other issue is I'm the only connection on the new green box in the whole of my area
bill888
Champion

fwiw, I think I was the second new fibre connection to be added to our new cabinet.  I think the first connection may have been for the BT engineer who happens to live around the corner from me. If there had been any cabinet commissioning issues, it would have been resolved before my connection was added a month ago.
Paulobrien41

Going to ring support soon to see if they have anything, really frustrated by the whole thing, especially the way I was treated by plusnet as a new customer was not very impressive at all, they have my complaint about that so will see what they do about it, not paying them a penny until they get my connection online
x47c
Grafter

Sadly you have just learnt the golden rule - Never ever be the first to use/buy anything.
Always let someone else get all the aggro - then, once all the hassles have been fixed, the bug fixes done, updates doled out etc only then is it suitable for you to use it.
With computers the general rule is never to buy any software of version less than 3 - the first two issues never work properely.
This does also sound to me like a software authentication connection at the backend to BT/plusnet and nothing whatsoever to do with your connection to the cabinet.
Depressing really that BTOR come and say as you have got 80/20 sync at the modem it so "must be OK"

Paulobrien41

Just need them to get of their backsides and sort it peed off isn't the word,  haven't been left with working Internet not even adsl as an interim so iPhone 3G is getting battered
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
Sorry to hear it's ongoing, though it looks like a possible issue has been found and passed to a specific team within our suppliers - we'll have an update on Thursday, hopefully to say that it's fixed.
Paulobrien41

Connection came on today at 30mb was told connection would be double that guess I got to wait for the line to settle down?
highfield5
Grafter

This all sounds a bit familiar Undecided
I was the second connection on my cab and although, unlike you, I could connect straight away at the expected rate the throughput was way down - about 35Mbps instead of 60/70.  It turned out the fibre cab had been incorrectly installed and it took a couple of OR men a couple of days to put it all right.
dick:quote
Paulobrien41

Really do hope the connection speed will improve as its all over the place at the moment and never been above 30mbps