Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frustratingly slow - not much use.

FIXED
Alex_Hamilton
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Frustratingly slow - not much use.

I wanted to download a Linux OS of 614MB soon after midnight and the message flashed that it would take nearly 2 hours. So, rather than stay up half the night, I gave up.  I have since checked my download speed and it was around 8Mb/sec., which is not much use for anything other than emails.  I know that everything is fine at my end, so please what is happening at yours?

15 REPLIES 15
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: Frustratingly slow - not much use.

Alex_Hamilton
Rising Star

But I did post the Download Speed and it was 8Kb/sec and it has not changed. Just done the test that you suggested and the Download Speed was 8.12

MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

I have since checked my download speed and it was around 8Mb/sec., which is not much use for anything other than emails. 

Might have to beg to differ on that, though each to their own Grin

Just a heads up that the speeds you are getting are actually above your estimate as you're currently syncing at 9.7Mbps:

ggg.JPG

Ever looked into getting fibre? You're on a legacy package at the moment that only offers a 10Gb usage limit.

ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

10Gb usage limit? Now that is not much use for anything other than emails Roll_eyes

Alex_Hamilton
Rising Star

My monthly cap is not the problem, but the download speed.  My question was "what was acceptable download rate (for the package I am on) and not what the download speed was at this particular moment in time.  So I might syncing a fraction above the rate I quoted, but it is still a snail's pace.  Why am I not syncing at 20Mb/s?

I know that fibre delivers much higher speeds, but I am not on that!  Are you telling me that Plus.net cannot deliver higher download speed than, say 10Mb/s on the package that I am on?

MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Fix

My question was "what was acceptable download rate (for the package I am on) and not what the download speed was at this particular moment in time.

Apologies, I didn't realise this was the question. The speeds that you are currently receiving are most certainly deemed acceptable for the technology (aka package) that you are on. However, if you were a bit closer to your exchange, then speeds could possibly reach higher brackets. You're currently falling right within your estimate.

Why am I not syncing at 20Mb/s?

I know that fibre delivers much higher speeds, but I am not on that!  Are you telling me that Plus.net cannot deliver higher download speed than, say 10Mb/s on the package that I am on?

Realistically, I don't think those speeds would be possible based on the length of your line. So I suppose the answer is yes, but it is an issue deemed out of our control.

Matty

ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
Alex_Hamilton
Rising Star

Many thanks for that, Matty.  I very rarely download Operating Systems (say, once every 2 or 3 years), so although this is disappointing, I will have to live with it rather than chance it with Branson!Undecided

Thanks again,

Alex

Mav
Fixes: 514

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav)

Changed fix to MattyC

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Alex_Hamilton
Rising Star

Hi Matty,

Given that the "technology" in my locality is not within our control, what else is there that can deliver faster download speed? Second question, as I already have BT landline, am I right to assume that I will not be charged for it in addition to the Broadband packages?

Finally, the broadband speed was not as slow before and bearing in mind the number of other messages complaining about the "Loss of Speed", I think there is more to it than just local technology!!!!

Best,

Alex

Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

In some areas, other providers are providing Fibre if Openreach do not have area as one listed for upgrade in foreseeable future

eg Gigaclear.

If you used the BT Wholesale speed test (posted link) it would show your line's actual profile; the 618mb d/load should
only take a few minutes if you are on 8mbps speed; if its taking longer it'll be a problem with site providing
the d/load eg being overloaded.

It's noticeable that some sites provide much better d/load speed than others.

At 8mbps you are getting far better than I do at 2.4mbps, and that speed is certainly fast enough for me to stream

downloads from BBC I player/ Now TV.

Your quote than 8mbps as only being good for e mail therefore, is simply not true IMHO.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

@Alex_Hamilton wrote:

Given that the "technology" in my locality is not within our control, what else is there that can deliver faster download speed?

The screenshot from http://dslchecker.bt.com seemed to indicate that FTTC (VDSL) is available in your area, if you were to upgrade to a fibre package, you should see an increase in speed.

@Alex_Hamilton wrote:
Second question, as I already have BT landline, am I right to assume that I will not be charged for it in addition to the Broadband packages?

As you're on a broadband only package, we would only charge for broadband (Unless of course, you decided to migrate your phone line to us also)

@Alex_Hamilton wrote:
Finally, the broadband speed was not as slow before

Speeds can fluctuate, however as you're well within your estimates for your line, our suppliers would likely reject a fault to investigate slow speeds.

If your sync speed was to drop below the fault threshold of the line, we'd then happily raise this with our suppliers for further investigation after going through initial checks.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Alex_Hamilton
Rising Star

Hi Gel,

We are not going to fall out over a figure of speech. Yes, it is good enough for emails and basic browsing, but the speed becomes frustrating with anything big.  I was up until 3.00a.m. upgrading to Win10 from Win7 and then it crashed and I had to do it again.  Even one of the smaller Linux OS can be 1.5GB and that might take all night.

Alex_Hamilton
Rising Star

Thank you HarryB, I will certainly consider fibre.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Even one of the smaller Linux OS can be 1.5GB and that might take all night.

That should take less than an hour (it does on my home connection of 6.5Mb/s), so if it's taking much longer than that then something isn't right.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.