cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frustrating decrease in speed

deemca79

Frustrating decrease in speed

This is unlikely to be Plusnet's fault but I wonder if anyone can help?
When I plug my laptop into my router I'm getting full speed:

But from the main computer which is on the floor directly above the router, I can't get any faster than this:

I've tried both 2G and 5G networks on my Asus N66U (both of which are showing a 100% signal) and the above is what I get. I have even bought homeplugs over the powerline and am getting the same speed  Shocked
Anyone have any ideas?
Edit: here's what my wireless signal is - apparently I have a connection rate of 300 Mbps?
5 REPLIES 5
Glenn
Grafter

Re: Frustrating decrease in speed

You use the same TP-Link Dual Band USB Wireless n Adapter as me....if you hover your mouse over the TP-Link icon in the right corner of the task bar it'll show you the true data transfer rate.
For me it's 130Mbps...apparently that's the limitation of the Plusnet 582n router.  Smiley
deemca79

Thanks.
It says Transmit rate: 13Mbps  Angry
I wonder if it's just a poor adapter?
dick:quote
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Quote from: Glenn
For me it's 130Mbps...apparently that's the limitation of the Plusnet 582n router.  Smiley

It's a limitation of what the router is configured for by default: http://npr.me.uk/telnet.html#w300
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

When I plug my laptop into my router I'm getting full speed
But from the main computer which is on the floor directly above the router, I can't get any faster than this:
Have you elimated the main computer as the culprit by trying the laptop from the same position ? and then trying the laptop with the USB adapter to eliminate that ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Have you elimated the main computer as the culprit by trying the laptop from the same position ? and then trying the laptop with the USB adapter to eliminate that ?

That sounds like the best plan so far to me Smiley
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team