cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frustrating Concentrator not reachable error

cyper
Dabbler

Frustrating Concentrator not reachable error

It is very frustrating that when my connection disconnects it doesn't connect back up immediately. Just now the connection dropped and I had to restart my modem+router like 3 times. And this is not the first time it happens - it actually happens more often that I like.
I was with Bethere before and for the 5 years I was their customer I had less disconnects than for 4 months with PlusNet. And I don't remember having to wait before I can connect again.
8 REPLIES 8
krs360
Grafter

Re: Frustrating Concentrator not reachable error

There's a time out on dropped PPPOE connections, don't quote me on this but it's recently been lowered... used to be around 6 minutes. Have a little more patience and it should sort itself out within a few minutes.
Cheers,
Ben.
cyper
Dabbler

I have found the cause of today's disconnects and I can't figure out why would that happen. It is unbelievable.
I downloaded this VOIP program: http://www.voxox.com/ and I swear to god whenever I start it my router looses power. It may sound crazy, but I am 101% sure that is the cause.
It happened 3 times today + 2 more times while I was on the phone with customer support. I even told the guy because I grew suspicious that I think this program makes my connection drop. He said that is impossible.
Well after I finished with the call I decided not to start the program again and out of curiosity just 5 minutes ago I started it and my router rebooted.
Any logical explanation here?
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Could it be uPNP causing it?  ie the VOIP program sending out a uPNP request and a faulty router/buggy router firmware is crashing the router?
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I believe Voxox is a multi-purpose program with VoIP just one of its applications. Wondering if it swamps the router with repeated 'anything for me' requests which causes table overflow and a reboot? In that case the router software should handle a full table more elegantly, but …
Do you have a different model of router to try?
David
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Android or iOS?
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Quote from: cyper

I downloaded this VOIP program: http://www.voxox.com/ and I swear to god whenever I start it my router looses power. It may sound crazy, but I am 101% sure that is the cause.

I'm going to test this later today on an Android handset via a 582n router and see what happens.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I've tried several times to sign up for this service but the confirmation SMS isn't coming through, so at the moment I'm not able to test. I'll keep trying.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
cyper
Dabbler

Quote from: pjmarsh
Could it be uPNP causing it?  ie the VOIP program sending out a uPNP request and a faulty router/buggy router firmware is crashing the router?
Phil

No idea really, but UPNP is on. I uninstalled it obviously, because it's a piece of c**p program.
Quote from: spraxyt
I believe Voxox is a multi-purpose program with VoIP just one of its applications. Wondering if it swamps the router with repeated 'anything for me' requests which causes table overflow and a reboot? In that case the router software should handle a full table more elegantly, but …
Do you have a different model of router to try?

I do, but to be honest it is not worth the effort. Plusnet are sending me a new router, because they think mine is faulty. When I swap them I might out of curiosity  install it again and try.
Quote from: Kelly
Android or iOS?

Windows 7 Professional x64
Quote from: Chris
Quote from: cyper

I'm going to test this later today on an Android handset via a 582n router and see what happens.

Never tried on my phone. I ran it on my Windows machine.
Quote from: Chris
I've tried several times to sign up for this service but the confirmation SMS isn't coming through, so at the moment I'm not able to test. I'll keep trying.

Mine came immediately.