cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fritzbox 7390 help

Bacardii
Dabbler

Fritzbox 7390 help

I have just got myself a fritzbox 7390. I can not get it to connect directly as a modem. I have a vdsl line (FTTC)  I have followed this guide http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,113332.0.html/ ; it is not that hard to follow but I can not get it to connect.
I put xxxxxx@plusdsl.net for my user name and my member centre password as the password. I have the grey cable with the grey adapter into the bt dsl socket. Did not bother with the black cable as it has the wrong end for the bt socket.
I have I done something wrong fritzbox users?
16 REPLIES 16
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Fritzbox 7390 help

Good find!
Are you getting sync? (Either 'Overview' or Internet > online monitor page will say if you have DSL sync and whether you have Internet connection).
You may find clues under 'System > Event Log > Internet Connection'
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
w23
Pro

Quote from: Bacardii
I put xxxxxx@plusdsl.net for my user name and my member centre password as the password.

I assume you put your actual Plusnet username where you say 'xxxxx'  Wink
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Bacardii
Dabbler

Hi yes I put bacardii@plusdsl.net and my member centre password. I do not get any sync from my connection, or connection. There is nothing in the log.
w23
Pro

First, I assume your FTTC line is working OK (connects with BT modem).
Have you attempted to connect in any way other than via DSL?  If so, I'd recommend a factory reset (may be worthwhile anyway).
After reset (follow exactly step by step - instructions should be correct for Fritz OS 05.51 and previous version - sorry, can't remember the exact previous version number):
Click 'Internet  > Account information'
Under 'internet service provider' select 'Other internet service provider'
Under 'Line' select 'Connecting to a DSL line'
Enter your account information in the boxes
Under 'Connection settings' click on 'Change connection settings' then select 'Maintain Permanently' and tick 'Use VLAN' and enter '101' in the VLAN ID box.  Under 'DSL ATM Settings' select 'Set manually' and ensure that PPPoE is selected under 'Encapsulation' (The default values of 1 & 32 can just be left in VPI and VCI).
Tick 'Check the Internet connection after "Apply" has been clicked' and click 'Apply'
What happens next?
Call me 'w23'
Bacardii
Dabbler

Tried all that, still nothing. The power light just flashes. I even tried reflashing the firmware. It did not seem to make any difference.
I am about ready to put it in the bin.
Thanks for help
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

Sounds like it's not getting DSL synch.
Are you using the DSL cable that came with the 7390 ? and do you have it the right way round ? ( page 22 of the manual )
Have you tried it with/without the adapter ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

w23
Pro

Quote from: Bacardii
Did not bother with the black cable as it has the wrong end for the bt socket.

Where did you buy the FB?
They use a different cable for UK versions (mine was an 'International' version but supplied with a separate UK cable).
Call me 'w23'
Bacardii
Dabbler

I bought it off ebay. How do I tell which version I have? Does the uk cable look different to the other cable?
Cheers
jim:quote
mikehiow
Grafter

A UK cable should be the centre pair with no cross IIRC.
I imagine a euro cable will only have the outer pair, perhaps?
Bacardii
Dabbler

Can I just use the cable that came with the openreach modem? Or is there any other cable I can use to get the vdsl side up and running?
Thanks
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

Can I just use the cable that came with the openreach modem?
It's got to be worth a try, and it can't do any harm.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

w23
Pro

The centre two pins on the DSL/TEL connector on the FB are the DSL, as long as you plug your DSL cable in 'centred' then it should make the right connection.  As MisterW says, it's got to be worth a try.
Regarding version: what numbers are printed on the label under the unit?
Call me 'w23'
janitor
Grafter

The cable that came with my 7390  had  two connectors on the wall end of the cable, one was a standard bt phone plug, that goes into the phone socket, to allow the telephony functions to work, the other goes into the broadband filter or into the broadband side of an infinity socket. If the cable that came with it doesn't have these then it is the wrong cable, have never tried the fritzbox with any other cable than the one from the box.
dverez

Hi everyone,
I`ve got a Fritzbox 3390 and had a same problem as above.
For the first attempt I could not connect directly via the phone line but done a factory reset and followed the initial setup did not help either.
After I followed the setup below and it looks like the manual VLAN 101 setting helped. (All of the other settings were correct automatically).
Before I was getting an error message something like "the ISP not responding for the PPPoE pings, Internet connection could not be established".
Thanks for this guide, really helped me!

Quote from: w23
First, I assume your FTTC line is working OK (connects with BT modem).
Have you attempted to connect in any way other than via DSL?  If so, I'd recommend a factory reset (may be worthwhile anyway).
After reset (follow exactly step by step - instructions should be correct for Fritz OS 05.51 and previous version - sorry, can't remember the exact previous version number):
Click 'Internet  > Account information'
Under 'internet service provider' select 'Other internet service provider'
Under 'Line' select 'Connecting to a DSL line'
Enter your account information in the boxes
Under 'Connection settings' click on 'Change connection settings' then select 'Maintain Permanently' and tick 'Use VLAN' and enter '101' in the VLAN ID box.  Under 'DSL ATM Settings' select 'Set manually' and ensure that PPPoE is selected under 'Encapsulation' (The default values of 1 & 32 can just be left in VPI and VCI).
Tick 'Check the Internet connection after "Apply" has been clicked' and click 'Apply'
What happens next?