Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fritz!Box DSL Info and high "Remediable Errors (FEC)"

tris
Grafter

Fritz!Box DSL Info and high "Remediable Errors (FEC)"

Hi
My recent fibre connection (FTTC) seems very good with as advertised figures seeming to be just fine but on examining a small problem I looked at my Fritz!Box 7390's (VDSL modem/switch) DSL Information panel and noticed a very very high "Remediable Errors (FEC)" figure (in the millions). This is for the Fritz!Box itself, not the "DSL Telephone Switch" row in the readings.
I have read elsewhere that this sort of error in itself is nothing particularly to worry about but the figure does seem very high, currently reading as follows:
per minute: 1384
Last 15 minutes: 16579311
For a start, what's odd is that the per minute figure doesn't tally with the 15 minute figure (not matter how many times I check it), so I don't know what that's about?
I do wonder though if all the PlusNet and my modem configurations are correct, or is it possibly some sort of network wiring issue? I have several computers and gigabit network switches running all over the house running through a variety of cat 5/5e & 6 cable.
Just so others may advise and confirm if all looks correct, I am including screen grabs of each of the Fritz!Box's DSL Info screens. In them I notice things like SNR are different to what I was used to under my old copper line, and does it matter if bitswap is off for Receive and On for Send?
I have no real understanding of the coloured SNR graph, but as I say the up and down speeds seem to be generally good but I can tweak SNR, INP and RFI in one of the windows as shown below.
Any advice or knowledge on the high FEC figures anyone?
(5 images attached)
7 REPLIES 7
DougMa
Grafter

Re: Fritz!Box DSL Info and high "Remediable Errors (FEC)"

I had the same setup and observed a similar crazy high FEC count and a number of CRC errors.  I never got to the bottom of it because I redesigned my home network and re-introduced the ECI VDSL2 modem.  I'm about to install some CAT6 so I can re-add the Fritz, I'll share updated stats when it's back online.
Doug.
tris
Grafter

Hi DougMa
That would be great if you could report back your findings with redesigned Cat6 & the Frtiz. I've also contacted Fritz! AVM to see if they can comment on the FEC figures, will report back if anything comes of it more than stock answers.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

I could be mistaken but you're on fastpath and IIRC that should mean no FECs.
I think the 'per minute' figure is based on total uptime (or time since last resync).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
tris
Grafter

For some unknown reason my router reset or the connection was reset at about 6pm tonight and 5 hours later when I happened to check the FEC error readings they where all near zero (see first pic) and it stayed like that for another couple of hours. Then it started to creep up to high figures again (over 1 million for the 15 minute reading (pic 2).
I wondered if it had anything to do with my installing and running Livedrive (cloud backup) yesterday, so I paused the uploads and sure enough the 15 minute FEC figure went way down low down again after a while (20 mins) (pic 3). I have now unpaused Livedrive again for a while and the 15 min FEC hasn't risen again although the 'per minute' figure remains high (over 4000 and "15 mins" has just gone to zero!) - it could all be coincidence though, I will have to check further.
Maybe the 'per minute' figure is based on total uptime as suggested by w23, or maybe it's not? I have seen this go up and down within the same uptime session so I'm not sure but I wonder if its some sort of average since last resync as now that the 15 mins FEC figure is sticking on zero I am seeing the per min figure drop every time I press refresh but the time multiplied by per min errors don't quite tally with the maximum 15 min figures I have observed. I have found though that the 'Errors (ES)' is definitely the time since the DSL connection was established as described in the FritzBox help files.
I found a good link for Fritz!Box owners which explains some of the readings and settings very well but it doesn't explicitly mention what the FEC 'per minute' reading is but does say how the 'CRC per minute' value is calculated, see:
http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?forumid=90&topicid=105744
Re w23's other comment, I tried to check if "Fast Path and IIRC mean no FECs" (as in 'fast' for the Latency), but I could find no mention of this anywhere. Not sure what IIRC actually stands for, but it seems to be associated with Fast Path when searching Google.
Ultimately though, I think my connection is working at near max speeds, I was just puzzled at to what was causing all those millions of FEC errors?
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

IIRC = If I Recall Correctly
A common shortened expression, not (as I think you thought) a technical term. Cool
That's RPM to you!!
tris
Grafter

Ah, IIRC - Yes. I did come across that last night but didn't think it fitted, but yes, it must be!
Checked my FEC errors again this morning and they're both way up high again: 38691 for the per minute and over 1.2 million for the 15 minute figures (see pic).
Not sure what's causing it, nothing particular is up or downloading at the moment and Livedrive has finished its uploading so it isn't actively doing anything, however for good measure I paused it as well anyway and still no change, so it doesn't seem to be that after all.
On each refresh of the DSL info, the per minute figure seems to be constantly climbing higher while the 15 min figure is varying up and down around 1.2 million.
Advice seems to be that up to 4000 on the per minute figure is fine, but mine now seems to be ten times that. People are saying FEC errors don't matter, but surely with these sorts of quantities there must be some sort of load put on the systems, the Fritz!Box in this case?
tris
Grafter

This just in from AVM support (Fritz!Box people):
-------------------------
Generally speaking, a very high data transmission rate causes a very high
rate of (correctable) errors. If there is not a slower data transmission
rate than named in your contract with your ISP (or even connection
droppings), there is no need to correct anything in the FRITZ!Box here.
If you want to know more about DSL values and on which circumstances they
are depending, please consult a DSL internet forum or start with the
lecture of the wikipedia article "ADSL", for example:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asymmetric_digital_subscriber_line

---------------------------
Not sure if that explains anything? I have nothing active on the up or down streams other than system background tasks, but incredibly high FEC's! Time to try turning system/wifi/computers off and see if that makes a difference....