Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frequently dropping connection

Jane353
Hooked

Frequently dropping connection

Hello,

I keep losing connection to my broadband internet. This happens approximately once every 2 days and seems to be getting more frequent. No red lights appear on my router.

Turning the router off for 10 minutes then back on again usually restores the connection for a day or two before it happens again.

Can you look into this for me? Thanks very much,

Jane

8 REPLIES 8
BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Re: Frequently dropping connection

Hi Jane353 and welcome to the Community Forums.

I've had a check of your connection and there is defiantly an issue flaring up causing the drops:

image14950301644362

I can see at the moment the automated line management systems are banding your speeds to increase your signal strength to try and cope with the intermittent interference and although it looks to have got around the issue over the last day it won't get rid of the issue in the long run. From here then as the issue could be caused by a few things we will need to run through some checks on your side before we go down he route of raising a fault and getting an engineer out.

If you follow the steps below to rule a few things out:
https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/connection-troubleshooting/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=refer...

If you still see the drops I'd recommend plugging your test socket with your router to eliminate the faceplate of the socket or an extension socket being the cause of the drops:
https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

If you've done the above and still are noticing drops then I'd get back to us so we can get a fault raised and engineer booked for you.

Kind regards,

Ben

Jane353
Hooked

Good morning,

I've gone through the troubleshooting and I'm still getting drops. Can you get an engineer booked out for me? I've just had the entire house re-wired by BT a few weeks ago so the issue shouldn't be on my end.

I'm available on Wednesday 24th if that's possible, otherwise I am available all next week.

Thanks very much,

Jane

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Sorry to hear you're still having issues.

Our tests are actually showing a external issue so we'll get that raised for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Jane353
Hooked

Hello,

The BT engineer checked all the connections and replaced the wires in the cabinet but didn't find an issue and told me that if I still continue to get drops in connection Plusnet need to send a broadband engineer instead of a BT engineer. Unfortunately I'm still getting connection drops so can you send a broadband engineer to have a look at the problem?

Thanks very much,

Jane

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

From what we can see the connection is now stable?

image14961396503799

Are you connecting over a wired or wireless connection?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Jane353
Hooked

Hi,

If the connection looks stable it's because I haven't been turning the router off and on again to try to fix the problem. I'm using a wireless connection.

I'm still getting a very poor connection, for example if I try to load a webpage I get a message saying "there was a problem loading this content, please check your internet connection and try again later". All lights on the router remain solid green however.

The wireless internet icon on my devices frequently says 'no internet connection' with an exclamation mark even though it is connected.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

If you're having problems with your wireless, I'd advise to take a look at this guide which can help you diagnose WiFi problems by changing the channel in your router settings.

https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/getting-the-best-wifi-signal/

Let us know how you get on.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Hi Jane,

Which router and which OS are you using?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.