cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frequent time outs trying to load webpages, mainly on forms

retrend
Dabbler

Frequent time outs trying to load webpages, mainly on forms

Many sites affected, bbc, youtube, several forums that are reliable.  Its been happening for a few days now, downloading performance is ok and gaming is fine, just seems to be web pages. 
Rebooted router a few times, and restarted pc.
25 REPLIES 25
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Frequent time outs trying to load webpages, mainly on forms

Some Internet Explorer add-on like Java or Flash Player not working properly??  Try a different web browser like Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.
HaydnExport
Grafter

i have strted to get no loads, the main culprit is ebay's main search , i type in what i'm looking for press enter and it posts an error.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

This type of problem is vastly more likely to come down to something wrong with the software running on your computer than something wrong on the Plusnet network.
For example, my search for "cornflakes" on ebay just now rapidly came back with 45 results?!?
HaydnExport
Grafter

this is the error i get
Server not found
Firefox can't find the server at search.ebay.co.uk.
  *  Check the address for typing errors such as
          ww.example.com instead of
          www.example.com
    *  If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
          connection.
    *  If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
          that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

That looks like a DNS lookup error so maybe you have one of those DNS-changing rootkit viruses?  The "clever" ones are extremely difficult for security software to detect because they disguise themselves as a Windows file, perform the normal functions of that file as well as their malign purpose and somehow manage to make themselves indistinguishable from the true file on the computer that is running them.  Common symptoms are that you do a search, click on a link and end up somewhere different from where the link was supposed to take you.  That's actually a bit of a give-away when you know what to look for; sooner or later they will evolve into something more subtle that is harder to spot.  The "dumb" ones just change your settings to establish a proxy server.
retrend
Dabbler

ive tried different browsers, and scanned my computer with anti malware, ad aware and avg to try to find something malicious causing the problem, but nothing has made it go away.  i am suspecting that it is something malicious on my computer more than plusnet after failing to find many others with similar issues.
Apprentice
Grafter

i am suspecting that it is something malicious on my computer .......

Have you tried SUPERAntiSpyware if not it may be worth while downloading the FREE edition then check for updates before running it in SAFE mode on the PC
          SAntiS  >  link
HaydnExport
Grafter

Doubt i have one of those , i never get re-directed just not able to get page, plus  this is a new build pc , around 4 weeks old  .  I think it's a dns error of some sort though.  Might try the google dns if i get round to it !
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

HaydnExport, remember new PCs often arrive out of date.  If you went to the wrong web site before you, for example, updated Adobe Reader to the latest version then you could have caught a virus that messes with your DNS settings.  There has been a lot of publicity about the Zeus3 virus recently; perhaps that acts that way?  Once malign software has control of your DNS it can take you anywhere it likes, to a mock-up of your bank's web site, for example.   
Anonymous
Not applicable

You could try doing a wireshark trace and enter "dns" into the filter (and select apply).
This way you would see whether your PC is talking to the expected DNS servers, and if you are getting missing replies.
HaydnExport
Grafter

Quote from: ReedRichards
HaydnExport, remember new PCs often arrive out of date.    

This one didn't i built it myself , windows 7 and everything up to date .  I never get redirected , just fails to load.  I have an up to date antivirus /spyware since it was first switched on.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: HaydnExport
This one didn't i built it myself ...

So you built your own computer but it has never worked properly, at least insofar as loading some web pages?
Quote from: HaydnExport
...I never get redirected , just fails to load...

If the virus is working well then you would never know whether or not you were being redirected.  The virus substitutes its own DNS server but this doesn't necessarily work so well, so it may be unable to resolve some URLs.  Of course, its main function is to misdirect you by resolving some key URLs to the wrong IP addresses.
Just to give an example, suppose you want to go to www.myonlinebank.co.uk .  A proper DNS server looks up the IP address of www.myonlinebank.co.uk to be 1.2.3.4 then your web browser takes you there.  The virus-changed DNS server resolves www.myonlinebank.co.uk to be IP address 999.999.999.999 , which is a fake copy of your banks web site erected by criminals.  You enter your credentials on the fake web site and they get stolen.  You won't know you have been misdirected unless you happen to know the true IP address and check the actual IP address of the web page you have arrived at. 
You need to take your computer somewhere else and establish that it works properly to prove that you have an internet problem rather than a computer problem.  
HaydnExport
Grafter

Nope again, it worked fine when i had the plusnet provided router connected , it's only started doing this when i connected the bt2700hgv ,  Roll_eyes
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Does the BT router have DNS servers saved?