cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frequent(ish) sync losses

MickKi
Grafter

Re: Frequent(ish) sync losses

ADSL filters degrade with time and eventually fail.  It is possible that more than one of your filters have failed.
penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

The filtered faceplate is not yet 12months old.  Bought on the 24/12/2007.  If we think it is faulty, then I will send it back for a replacement. Anyone know how to test, or is it a case of plugging it back in, and seeing what the stability and speed is like. I have had not 1 sync drop since I have been connected to the master socket, with an unbranded filter!!!  SNRM is stable at 6dB, sync of 5696.  I will not be removing this though until my profile has gone up Crazy    Just a question though.  It takes 3 days of syncing higher to reset BRAS profile. Does a resync reset the clock, even if its still higher than your BRAS profile???  ie, I have a profile of 2000.  Syncing at 5696.  If I resynced before the 3days, but still synced at over 5000, does this reset the 3 day clock?Huh
MickKi
Grafter

Quote from: penfold
The filtered faceplate is not yet 12months old.  Bought on the 24/12/2007.  If we think it is faulty, then I will send it back for a replacement. Anyone know how to test, or is it a case of plugging it back in, and seeing what the stability and speed is like. I have had not 1 sync drop since I have been connected to the master socket, with an unbranded filter!!!   SNRM is stable at 6dB, sync of 5696. 
If this continues for more than a couple of days then it looks likely that the faceplate should be going back?  There may be tests that you can perform - but other than checking for noise (crackling in your voice calls or high FECs in your router stats) I don't know of any.
Quote from: penfold
I will not be removing this though until my profile has gone up Crazy    Just a question though.  It takes 3 days of syncing higher to reset BRAS profile. Does a resync reset the clock, even if its still higher than your BRAS profile???  ie, I have a profile of 2000.  Syncing at 5696.  If I resynced before the 3days, but still synced at over 5000, does this reset the 3 day clock?Huh

It can take "up to five days" depending on the size of the jump between your previous profile (2000) and your current (5000).  So, in your case you have:
((5000-2000)/2000)*100 = 150%  for that sort of difference the profile should increase within 12 hours.  After 12 hours a resync at a speed of 5696 or higher will land you a profile of 5000 and potential throughput speeds of around 4700+.  Resync'ing at over a speed of over 5696 will still get you the 5000 profile and the clock will not reset.  Resync'ing at a speed of lower that 5696 will get you a lower profile and the clock will reset.
For more info google for Max Logic (the algorithm that BT's equipment use to calculate how long it takes for your I P profile to adjust upwards).
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Now been synced at 5696, for 2 days 35mins. SNRM varing, between 5 and 6dB, checked at 20:25 this evening. Looks like it was that filtered faceplate, and I will be contacting clarity, for a replacement or refund.  The BRAS will go up automatically wont it, but I need to disconnect and reconnect to the network for me to get the speeds?Huh
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Back at 5000 not, thank god!!!.  Just needed to discinnect and reconnect.  Speedtest give over 4700kbps down and 359up, and all this with no stutteryness or lagginess.  This MUST be down to the filtered faceplate, and I have contacted clarity for their suggestions.  Does anyone think the Caller ID issue, may be down to this as well???
James
Grafter

Hi Penfold,
I'm not sure about the caller id issue, but certainly very happy to hear that you're stability issue seems to have fixed itself Smiley
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Thanks james.  The CSC has responded regards the caller ID issue, stating there are some things they can do, if I can bear with them.  This is absolutely fine, but I do think this faceplate caused all the issues. Still had no contact from Clarity. I am still connected into the test socket. Is it OK to keep connected to this for any length of time. Extensions are not an issue, as I dont have any apart from the CAT5 cable to where I eventually will put the router back to, which needs a filter faceplate. Still had no resyncs, and it appears everything is back to normal.
James
Grafter

Hehe, I was plugged into my test socket for about 6 months before I bought an iPlate, so it's absolutely fine.
Certainly sounds like it was the faceplate.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I've just read this thread right through and there are a number of points, in particular with regard to information since post #27.
You mentioned you had crackling when plugged into the test socket initially, check that the crackling doesn't appear when you gently wiggle your connectors. If all is still OK try one of your other filters again, best to do it when your SNRM is highest, usually a.m daylight so you resync at optimum speed. Repeat the checks on the connectors. (Don't do this, or loose sync more than 5 times in any one hour in case the exchange adversely affects your SNRM target.)
On the subject of filters -
Poor design filters (usually cheap ones) can affect the Caller ID signals.
ADSL filters do NOT degrade with time unless made with very poor quality components, they may degrade with use however if the components are not "suitably rated" (being the simplest way to explain without going into technical details).
Your Clarity Plate may have been making poor connection with the test socket, which may now be OK as you've plugged in and out a few times cleaning the connection a bit.
You do NOT need a filtered face plate to connect your Cat5e cable for your modem RJ11 extension socket, you only need it for plain old telephone extension wiring (if you have any) or you don't want a dangly filter to the phone at the main socket if you haven't. (Filters only filter the phone side, not the ADSL).(If you have extension phone wiring, check that as well.)
Ringing current can often "temporarily" (usually) clean dodgy connections, and a loss of sync when a phone rings is a clear indication of a dodgy connection (or filter if you haven't checked - but you did).
It is highly improbable that you have 2 dodgy filters and a dodgy faceplate, the faceplate may still be dodgy unless you can eliminate it by repeat checks.
If the crackling problem re-occurs and you have double checked it's non of your connections, then report that phone line problem (any crackling could cause loss of sync) but don't mention the broadband as previously advised by MickKi.
If at some stage you need to check your modem is not the problem, borrow one from a friend (you'd need to pay PN postage I believe). You don't need to do that for a phone line telephony fault by the way.
Edit: By the way Gold drops or any problems at PN will not cause loss of sync, that is purely down to your equipment, the BT line and the BT exchange.
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Thanks anotherone.  I have wriggled the connection, and it all was fine, no cracking etc. Sync has been stable for 4 days now. The 2 filters that appear to be dodgy are sppedtouch branded, but have been sat in a box for over 2years. The filter that causes no trouble is an unbranded one. I have not retried the faceplate, but still awaiting a reply from Clarity. The CAT5 cable is for connecting the ADSL side of the faceplate to an RJ11 socket box, upstairs, for the modem. I was under the impression twisted pair cable should be used for this. Caller ID now appears to be fixed as well. 
Cheers.
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Well....... it seems BT did find a problem. The wire from where the line enters the house, to the NTE5 was faulty, and causing the caller ID issues, and probably the ADSL issues as well. What I cant fathom is why with the faceplate on, the connection was a bit iffy, and in the test socket was OK, even though there was a fault with the line beyond this point. Will have to try the faceplate back on, and see what happens.....