Quote from: penfold
Its cheaper to get a new one!! Cheesy

Bit of a case of the Harry Enfield sketch "I saw you coming"
penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: Frequent(ish) sync losses

I think its my fault the cable may be damaged  Roll_eyes Roll_eyes
Got it from a reputable source though, clarity.
MickKi
Grafter

FECs, CRCs and HECs counts in your router stats indicate that you have Interleaving On.  When set in 'auto' it kicks in after you reach a certain level of error rate and start correcting them so that you can stay online.
With the winter setting in, those of us on a marginal line (like yours with 43dB attenuation) are bound to see a drop.  A low speed resync event will of course get you a low(er) IP profile.  Just to give you an idea during the summer I would happily stay sync'ed for weeks on end with no resync events (other than the odd power cut).  Now I can't even stay sync'ed for longer than 3 days without a resync in the middle of the night and I am struggling to get my IP profile up again (crosses fingers).
Despite all that, you could well have a cable fault in your installation, so you should try and eliminate that first.  Also, it is not a good idea to run ethernet cables parallel to power lines.  If you need to cross them do it at right angles to each other.  Power lines will carry with them noise from faulty (and poorly filtered) appliances and their power lines, e.g. monitors, printers, cookers, extractor fans, boiler pumps and central heating valves and thermostats.
If you have tried the test socket behind the master socket front plate, another ADSL filter and a different router, then the problem is not with your set up and a Broadband engineer should pay your line a visit (make sure that an "intermittent connection" fault is reported to BT).
HTH.
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Cheers
I have been pretty stable since moving the router, to the filtered faceplate. I was wondering if it was all due to the terribly nastyweather we have had in the north west just lately, rain that hard it was boucing over an inch back of the road!!!!.  Probably saturated the already antiquated BT cabling Undecided Undecided
Will be keeping an eye on this, see what happens.  It is a pain to sync so high for 2 days, then sync low again and reset the 3 day timer, however, interestingly, even though the BT tester will not run to completion, I have a profile of 4500, even though I synced for 8 hrs at 2602, after 2 days at 6016. Odd!!!!!
James
Grafter

To be honest, if you've had pretty horrible weather, it's quite likely to have an impact, especially if your wiring to the exchange is underground.  There might be unsealed pieces of cabling sitting in the damp.
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Have you been lucky over there is yarkshire!!!!!  Lancahire has had terrible rain. Cool
James
Grafter

Hah!
Week before last was pretty horrific, but this week has been dry.  So far.
[me=Jameseh]looks at forecast[/me]
Wow!  We might manage another dry day!! Cheesy
penfold
Aspiring Pro

It is with great reget that I am going to have to cancel my contract, after a good few years of a good service. I cannot cope with the stutery speeds at peak times, that get better suddenly at around 10PM ish. Also I now appear to have a 2meg profile, when the lowest I have synced as far as I can see is 4000!!!.  Tried the connection wired and wireless, both the same, and in reality I am fed up now. The service used to be spot on, but now has gone considerably downhill. Its not just download spped, its also upload as well, which is at peak times around 250kbps. 
penfold
Aspiring Pro

After thinking a bit more logically about this, rather then jumping the gun, I am going to give Plusnet to opportunity to resolve this. This weekend I will have time to put the router and phone throught a new filter, into the test socket and leave it there. If speeds, and sonnection are still not as I have had previously, then I will raise a fault for an engineer vist, however, would Plus lend me a router to rule that out as well, as it would be a pain to install software etc, for the speedtouch 330 modem I still have. I have tried 17070 quiet line test, and apart from what I perceive a normal background hum, its quiet, expect for the very  very occ crackle, that is very faint, and very difficult to hear.  I had this a couple of years back and the engineer changed the pairs from the house to the pole, to the cabinet and to the exchange.
James
Grafter

If you give the faults guys a ring, they should be able to arrange for a test loan router to be sent out.
I'll also be happy to pick up your fault on Monday if the change of filter doesn't help at all.
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Thank you capn burntbeard.  Will advise on monday as to the situation, on speeds and connectivity.
There was an odd thing......  Last night when I got home, and found I had resynced at 4000, my SNRM was 11dB.  The router had resynced twice before, at speeds >5500, with an SNRM of 6.5. Rebooted router and SNRM was back at 6.5dB????  Could all this be a symptom of an issue at the exchange with my line or something.
James
Grafter

It's more likely to be from your router to the exchange.
Basically anything in that chain. Which rules out oh so much!
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Some interesting developments.....  Directly into the test socket with a filter, when phone rings, line becomes very crackly, and I lose sync.  Resync is at a normal speed.  This has happened with 2 filters, speedtouch branded. An unbranded filter I managed to dig out of my box of tricks, managed to keep sync, but line very crackly.  Also my wife has just told me over the past few days we have been having issues with caller ID not being displayed, whcih is something we subscribe to with Plusnet home phone.  All the phone says no caller info. But them sometimes caller info is displayed.  Is this a line issue do you think, and should we be getting BT out.  I wonder if the filtered faceplate was masking alot of these issues??  Anyone comment.  I will also add the above to the open ticket.  Will keep this working filter in to check line stability.
MickKi
Grafter

In all likelihood you have a line problem.  Call BT when the crackling takes place a raise a "noise on the line" fault (don't mention broadband).  Ask them to confirm that they can hear the noise and make a note on the fault ticket.
When the engineer visits also mention in passing that not only you can't hold a conversation because of the noise on the line, but also you BB connection keeps dropping.
PS.  If the noise on the line fault is intermittent then report it as such.
HTH.
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Since the 3rd filter, the crackling appears to have died down now, and things seem very much more stable. Speedtests are OK, for a 2000K profile Angry
Only odd thing now, is the caller ID thing, that is very intermittant, and randomly does not work, but this has only happened very recently. Also I have had a few mates and family ring on purpose, and sync has not dropped now. It is possible that 2 filters are faulty I suppose. Could the filtered facepate be causing all these issues, as its the next link up in the chain (that I have now removed), and now everything seems fine. Can you test these filtered faceplates. I got it from Clarity.it, but if I need to buy another, can anyone recommend anywhere?Huh