Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frequent(ish) sync losses

penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Frequent(ish) sync losses

Not sure if this is an issue or not, but just recently, I suspect starting with the horrendous weather we have been having, I have been getting many more losses of sync than I am used to. Usually I can go weeks without a sync loss. Recently its 2-3, sometimes more a day. Some are random, others quite a short space of time after each other. Issue is, that I never resync low, its always to almost the same level as it was at previously, give or take a few hundred k.  I have recently done some work on my networking, after moving my desktop to another room, I have put in RJ45 network sockets, with the cable running up the wall cavity, and into the attic where the router is ( been there for months). I have noticed however that the Patch lead from the socket to the PC runs quite close to the Mains extension that is used to power the PC and its various devices. Not sure if this would be an issue or not. I am this weekend going to move the extension to the socket on the opposite side of the room , and cable clip the wire to the skirting, to make it neat, also the network cable in the loft needs making neat as well, as it does run closeish to the mains wiring, but the modem cable doesnt. Could this cause resync events??  The router is connected to the master socket in the front room, via a 10m length of Cat5E cable, and into a filtered faceplate, bought from clarity ( the Cat5e was also bought from there as well).  As I say it all worked very well up until recently. The phone line does not crackle that I have noticed as well. Just wondered if anyone could offer any ideas or advice.
40 REPLIES 40
ian007jen
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: Frequent(ish) sync losses

Hi
have a look here http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,67895.0.html
I had a simular problem, and I do not think it is entirely corrected yet.
My thoughts are that overhead lines, lots of rain water also causing frequent disconnects.
IAn
samuria
Grafter

Beware of clipping cables to the wall etc  if the clip is the old type that may actual squash the cable this can effect it and make it worse. The cables are designed to work at a certain diameter  to avoid feedback squashing it can change the induction.
All cables should be away from any mains if possible failing that they should pass at right angles not go along side  with the mains
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Still happening.  Cant seem to hold sync for more than 1 day at a time, although syncs are OK, apart from one today, that has dropped me to a 3MEG profile.  Cant see why this is after months of a perfectly stable connections.  Can I raise a ticket about this???
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Now raised this as a fault.  hopefully we can get this sorted. Undecided Undecided
grexy
Dabbler

just the same problem as me! at least your getting 3meg, i'm at less than 1meg. I too always had sync at ove 7meg, and now its just started to drop...
penfold
Aspiring Pro

OK....
No obvous fault was found on the automated faults checker, but it could not complete anyway.  I have moved the router from the attic, and connected it directly into the ADSL filtered faceplate I have. My usual setup is to have the router connected to this faceplate via Cat5e cable running to the attic, and termiated in an RJ11 socket box, got all this kit from Clarity, the cable is http://www.clarity.it/xcart/product.php?productid=16139&cat=250&page=1
I suppose the cable could be going south, as a section of it, does run under carpet, at a door junction, and its just possible that the constant walking could have damaged it, even though its right under the doorplate. Anyhow, if it remains stable with this, then it must be this cable, damaged somewhere. If not, then I will remove the faceplate, and try for a couple of days in the test socket, with a microfilter so I can still use the phone. If this does not work, I do not have another router, would PlusNet lend me one, to check if the router is on its way out.
Edit... Plus are going to turn on interleaving, but I was sure it was already on, but cant find anywhere in the router pages that tells me. Does anyone know where it is on a speedtouch 585V6?Huh
Currently it says

DSL Connection
Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 1:10:44
Modulation: G.992.1 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 6.016
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [KB/MB]: 790,00 / 2,51
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11,5 / 19,5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 27,0 / 43,0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 24,0 / 5,0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ALCB
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 827.952
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 36
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 36
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Also, my speeds are pants again. The speedtesters dial is up and down, and spluttery, cant seem to get more than 1.3meg, on a 3meg profile. Upload is just as bad. Noticed however there are alot of gold drops across a majority of gateways.  Is this normal???
James
Grafter

Hi Penfold,
It's not *that* uncommon on a Monday, as this is our busiest evening of the week.  Gold drops are more likely on Mondays, which might result in a bit of a slowdown in speeds.
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Thanks James
Can you tell if interleaving was already on my line or not.  Last night seemed quite stable sync wise, and I do wonder if the CAT5 cable has got a bit damaged.  Any ideas on how to test CAT5 cable?
James
Grafter

None other than trying a different one from what I would have thought.
Interleaving is currently set to auto, but I can turn it on if you want me to?
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Uptime, is now over 1 day, which is much better compared to the last few days. Also appear to be syncing slightly higher than normal, 6016, compared to 5300 normally, which does make me think the cable is faulty. I could sync previously at over 6000, but lost sync after a few hours to drop to 5300-5500, whcih was very stable. Will keep an eye on things.  As I am not a gamer, lets try interleaving on, see what happens.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Any ideas on how to test CAT5 cable?

how much money have you got?
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=45779&C=Newsletter&U=08P10-4&T=11946872
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Its cheaper to get a new one!! Cheesy
penfold
Aspiring Pro

After 2 days, had a low sync event again, at 2400ish. Never had low syncs like this. Restarted router, and back to a normal 5500ish, but now ive again got to wait 3days  Grrrrrrrr >:(.  I am in the master socket.